Batting Cage in backyard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
My first bit of advice, buy used. The money you can save vs buying new is worth waiting a few
months to find one you like. There are some good finds out there for 300-600, check craigslist
and flea-bay.

If you are ever going to use real softballs or hard dimpled balls inside the cage you need a thick net.
#15 and #21 will end up with holes in them. The #43 nets are more expensive, but if you can find one
used anywhere near the size you need, get it.

If you are going to do any front toss or machine pitch, a pitching net is a must.

Permanent vs temporary, personally I would hate taking down and putting things up, I would go permanent
if possible. I'm leaving mine setup thru winter other than the net (15 minute take down).

Pitching machine, most members here are against the use of machines. Personally I love ours, got a great
deal on a used jugs super softball machine. It doesn't replicate an actual pitcher throwing a ball, but is still
great for the hand eye coordination. We use the diamond green foam balls, they will only come out of the machine
around 50mph max, but they are safer and don't beat up the bats like the yellow dimpled balls. Plus, I get a few
swings in every now and then lol.

Don't take this to heart, but it's just my opinion. If my DD wasn't a pitcher, we could get by with a tee, bownet,
whiffles, a dozen softballs and a dozen TCB balls. We could do most of the work in the back yard, and go to the
park once a week and do front toss or hit with a live pitcher. Tee work and hitting into a net can get boring for them,
that's probably the main reason DD likes the machine.

I think I have about $800 into the cage with the clay/sand, and I think I paid $700ish for the machine.
And probably $200 in whiffles, machine balls and softballs.

We really are crazy parents, I had the best parents growing up, but they would never have put up a cage in
the back yard. Good luck with your project.

Mar 31, 2011
I went with a chain link fence backstop and a cheap eBay net #21. DD is a pitcher so we get lots of use. Also picked up a used lite flite machine off of eBay. made a pitching screen out of scrap fishing nets also from eBay. Total, backstop $100, net $220, machine $180 and balls, tee etc another $200.

Backstop is two 4x4 post 12 feet apart and tall. Got the chain link fence from a neighbor just had to take it down. Used the top poles from the fence and made 3 12x12 u shaped brackets which slid into poles buried in the ground. These are the top supports. Net has 3 ropes and just hang from the pole supports. Takes about 10 min to pull the pole supports with the net on and take it down.

I move the net into the large shed in the winter and hang it from cables on the roof.

The net is light but is holding up well with real softballs. I have a bigger problem with rabbits making holes.

The backstop was the best idea. Even in the winter she can still do tee work or pitch if the weather is nice. Chain link fence looks like a car hit it. It will never be a fence again.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
I bought a 50' portable off of eBay. They send you the netting and corner brackets, then you buy the pipes at Menards! Very portable, I can put it up in a hour or less! You must stake it in as it is so light in a storm it will tip it! 3/4" tubing is pretty strong and I have had college level players hit in it and it stood up well! Bought a firstpitch pitching machine for about half the price of a jugs! Love it! Put in a mound and a plate, carted in clay for the mound and batters box. Great investment!! No complaints from anyone!!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Batting Cage 007.jpgBatting Cage 001.jpgBatting Cage 005.jpgBatting Cage 006.jpg

I took some photos before I took it down for the winter and sold it. Net is sagging because I was in the process of taking it down I had it for Casey and her team for 7 years and sold it to a young travel ball team. Machine and all.
It was 10ft tall by 60ft long.
I had it on plastic coated air craft cable. When I mowed the grass I slid it under by garage over hang like a shower curtain.
I put turnbuckles on all 4 corners to make the cable very tight when in use
Concrete pads one for batter one for me behind a screen i made 43 feet out. I used yellow plastic tent stakes so no balls would get out.

Machine was used and had a net closer in for hand front toss

Straightleg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 2824View attachment 2825View attachment 2826View attachment 2827

I took some photos before I took it down for the winter and sold it. I had it for Casey and her team for 7 years and sold it to a young travel ball team. Machine and all.
It was 10ft tall by 60ft long.
I had it on plastic coated air craft cable. When I mowed the grass I slid it uder by garage over hand like a shower curtain.
I put turnbuckles on all 4 corners to make the cable very tight.
Concrete pads one for batter one for me behind a screen i made 43 feet out.

Straightleg

Nice, it will go to good use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl