Batter in or out of the batters box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
Yesterday we had 2 incidents where the opposing catcher(after being instructed to by her coach)purposely pegged our batters in the back when our runner was stealing third. The first time was a bigger batter who was slow gettin out of the box. The second was clearly out of the box with our batter moving frantically to stay out of the catchers way. Both times the runners were called out.Our girls were than more concerned about where they were going after the pitch than hitting. Are our girls open targets whether they are in or out of the box? (Little league rec ball 11&12's)

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yesterday we had 2 incidents where the opposing catcher(after being instructed to by her coach)purposely pegged our batters in the back when our runner was stealing third.
some coaches are idiots. I've heard coaches say similar instructions in front of everyone and they get no reprimand whatsoever.

I don't have the rule book handy, but I was just reading about interference last night and it seems to me that if the batter was in the way then it's interference. However if she made an effort to get out of the way (out of the box), but was still in the way, I'm not sure.
I'm having trouble seeing how a girl standing outside of the batter's box could be in the way.....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I swear this rule was discussed here last week, but I can't find the thread. If I recall. The batter in the box does not have to move on a throw to third on a steal. The catcher has to create her own throwing lane. However, regardless of in the box or other wise, if it appears that the batter is trying to impede the throw the Ump can enforce the rule. Your girls moving around might create the appearance that they are getting into the throwing lane. If they stay right where they are, maybe duck, they should be within the rule.

BTW someone in your league should have a long talk with any coach who advocates a catcher throwing a ball at a player. The talk should conclude with him being pegged by a couple of softballs thrown from less then 10 feet away. The ump who allowed it should be given similar treatment.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If the batter is out of the box and gets hit on the throw to third or any base, it is interference. If the batter is in the batters box and moves into the way of a throw, it CAN be interference if in the umps judgement the batter moved into the path of the ball. Best bet on a steal or pick off at any base except home, is to stay put, and don't go anywhere. On a play at the plate is the only time a batter must get out of the way of the play. If that means leaving the box, and it usually does, thats what they must do.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If an opposing coach ever did that, I would pack up my team and leave. Has common sense left this game, entirely? Who would play for that coach?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think if you hear the other coach instructing their player to do something like that, you need to call time, and have a conference with the other coach and the umpire, and make it absolutely clear that you will not tolerate that sort of conduct. That is completely ridiculous.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I can't believe the umpire didn't explain the rule to you, coach slim, especialy if you could hear the other coach telling his catcher to hit your players on purpose. The catcher was within the rules to do so, but good grief! the ump could have at least given you a heads up! Did you ask the ump about what was going on?

Dec 28, 2008
Not advocating anything, just playing devils advocate for a second because there are always 2 perspectives and one is being overlooked out of sympathy: Who is more to blame:

A. Coach who teaches catcher that if the batter "purposely" steps out of the box to obstruct their throw that they have every right to hit them?

B. Coach who doesn't teach the rules to his players so player is then put in harms way by coach who does teach the rules?

The rule is what the rule is to protect the players. Batter has right to be in the box, and the catcher then has to try and avoid. For every coach telling their catcher to hit the batter if they interfere with them, there are 100 coaches not teaching the rules to and practicing with players to protect them, and 10 teaching batters to purposely step in way to "encourage" catcher not to make the throw or make a bad throw around them. Yes it is complicated teaching batters to get out of way if play is at home, but stay if play isn't, but it's a complicated sport.

Jan 18, 2011
Batter can not actively hinder or interfere with the catcher catching the ball or making a throw in or out of the box. (paraphrasing, of course) ASA rule 7 section 6 P-S.

Which really comes down to the umpires opinion if the batter actively or intentionally interfered. I'd contact the UIC and discuss with him.

Without seeing it myself, it would be hard to say who was in the right.

But the other coach shouldn't instruct the catcher to purposely hit the other girls at point blank range. Gee, I hope these weren't full force throws from that close. That's just wrong. An appeal can be made without a throw!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom