Batted ball hits runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Game yesterday - playing a much better team, no question who would win. The better team is at bat, runner on 1B.
ball is hit to F4, baserunner runs in front of F4 and ball deflects and slows as it goes thru her legs. Runners safe on 1B and 2B. I call time and ask the ump who tells me she didn't see it. I recount what happened and confirm that she missed it entirely.

what option do I have at that point? continue the game under protest? the play would've been the 3rd out and the next batter drove in the run-rule winning run. I just wanted to hang in there as long as we could.

the thing that really bothered me was on my way back after accepting the Umps call, I conversationally asked the 1B coach (probably a former player who aged out) if she saw that - she immediately started laughing and vehemently denying that the ball could have possibly touched the runner, as if I was trying to pull a fast one. So I knew she was lying. If she agreed that they just got lucky, or if she said she thought the runner made it safely, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If I had just kept my mouth shut, it wouldn't have bothered me either.

so in that circumstance, is that it? there is no call because the ump didn't /couldn't see it? (which is what I assumed)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
You can only protest calls where the rules have been misinterpreted / misapplied. For example, the umpire agrees the batted ball contacted the runner, but says it doesn't matter because it wasn't intentional.

In cases like this and with multiple umpires, the best you can do is get them to check with their partner about what they saw.

Dec 25, 2010
Game yesterday - playing a much better team, no question who would win. The better team is at bat, runner on 1B.
ball is hit to F4, baserunner runs in front of F4 and ball deflects and slows as it goes thru her legs. Runners safe on 1B and 2B. I call time and ask the ump who tells me she didn't see it. I recount what happened and confirm that she missed it entirely.

what option do I have at that point? continue the game under protest? the play would've been the 3rd out and the next batter drove in the run-rule winning run. I just wanted to hang in there as long as we could.

the thing that really bothered me was on my way back after accepting the Umps call, I conversationally asked the 1B coach (probably a former player who aged out) if she saw that - she immediately started laughing and vehemently denying that the ball could have possibly touched the runner, as if I was trying to pull a fast one. So I knew she was lying. If she agreed that they just got lucky, or if she said she thought the runner made it safely, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If I had just kept my mouth shut, it wouldn't have bothered me either.

so in that circumstance, is that it? there is no call because the ump didn't /couldn't see it? (which is what I assumed)

What option do you have at that point? None.

Go back to the dugout and realize that some (a lot lately) of the umpies calling tournament games aren't very good at their craft

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Never ask a coach from the other team if they have a different opinion then the ump or saw something the ump did not. No good can come from that. Now if she came forward and said, hey blue it hit my girl. Thats different.

Mar 1, 2013
You pretty much have no recourse there. The umpire didn't see it. You could have asked her to check with her partner to see if he/she had a view where the ball hit the runner, but if she didn't see it and has no info otherwise, play on.

As socal_dad said, you can protest a rule interpretation, but not judgement. Basically, the umpire judged (by not seeing it happen) that there was no contact with the ball/runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red