Bat Rattling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Is it more likely to break because it is rattling?

Just trying to figure out with lots of tournaments in the next month and then straight into tryouts what the best strategy is.
No, rattles dont mean the bat is breaking. As most of the time little rattles are gluebees that fall off from the cap from extra
epoxy that got piled on from the line. It happens. Just because you got more than one, could easily mean the rest of the excess has
dropped off as well. Usually a very quick rattle is a gluebee because any little contact will break it off. You prob got a bat with a
ton of epoxy up on the cap. This effects nothing but you are gonna have umps that are told to throw a bat out for any reason,
this could cause you an issue. No structural issues though.

Now, sand sound is another issue, but I dont think thats what you have. Sand is when the composite is breaking down inside
around the barrel. The coating around the inside composite is kinda just flaking off in particle size and at some point, you are
probably going to get a crack...BUT I have seen sand rattles last forever because its not the composite, its the stuff sealing it.

It doesnt sound like a part of the inside bat gave way, so we will just mark that off the list.

Apr 19, 2022
My daughter's Ghost from this season started rattling early in the season after we went to the park to break it in. She's been using all season and a few kid umpires shook it around before tournaments but didn't throw it out. I'll be sending it back at the ned of the season.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
My daughter's Ghost from this season started rattling early in the season after we went to the park to break it in. She's been using all season and a few kid umpires shook it around before tournaments but didn't throw it out. I'll be sending it back at the ned of the season.
And bat was fine...use it and at the end, get a new bat :)

Jun 20, 2015
odds of bats being checked closely, varies. for example, it was 100% checking of every bat before all games last weekend. but the weekend prior was cursory check at most.

Jun 20, 2015
She just put out her spare CF out to be checked and hits with her rattling Ghost. 😉
that's all well and good....until the umps walk over and will not leave until every bat comes out of the dugout onto the field to be inspected. Even my Combat G3 for hitting infield.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles