Bat legality question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The rattle is an indication that the inner wall of the bat is breaking apart. This will eventually happen to almost all of the composite bats as they go through their life cycle. The fact that it has happened with the one year (I assume) warranty period is an issue. Return it. The danger here is that the bat could break apart when hitting the ball and a large piece of bat with a jagged edge could be flying around the field.

As to passing inspection, some umpires are more vigorous than others in shaking bats and listening for rattles.

Rattle does not mean wall is breaking apart. Could easily be epoxy from the end of the bat that broke
off and now is rattling around in there.
There could be multiple reasons for rattling.

I would not return it until your warranty period is coming close. Some umps need to relax and educate
themselves more about bats.

Mar 1, 2013
Some umps need to relax and educate
themselves more about bats.

Some coaches and parents need to relax and educate themselves about the rules ;)

The rules specifically state that a bat which rattles is to be removed from play. It doesn't give leeway on why you think it's rattling. If you hear a rattle, by rule, you're supposed to remove the bat.

For the OP - if it's under warranty, return it for a replacement.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I fit has only been taken out one time, and you have 5 months left...why not wait and maximize warranty.

And I do understand the rules, but people that make and enforce them tend not to understand the difference
between a rattle that could be suspect and little piece of glue. So we shake a bat full force to try and hear any
little epoxy sand to try and toss a bat...haha

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
^^^^^^ Some people should educate themselves on bat construction, warranties, and maybe even become a vendor to learn more about bats and the companies that produce them. Maybe they could even sell bats here to DFP furom members at good prices too.
Oh wait..... :p

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Nooooo...no more vendors...there are already thousands. Then add in all their goofy salesmen running
around on FB calling themselves reps to sound fancy...haha.

Mar 1, 2013
All screwing with each other aside, for my purposes, I pick up a bat, run my hands along the barrel to ensure it's smooth and such, give it a quick shake. Any rattles worth hearing will happen then. If I hear something I may shake it again to ensure I really heard what I thought I heard but if I hear nothing, I'm not going to start shaking harder.

And the reps should be happy when a bat is taking out. More sales ;)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
All screwing with each other aside, for my purposes, I pick up a bat, run my hands along the barrel to ensure it's smooth and such, give it a quick shake. Any rattles worth hearing will happen then. If I hear something I may shake it again to ensure I really heard what I thought I heard but if I hear nothing, I'm not going to start shaking harder.

And that's exactly all it should be...quick over the barrel to make sure no real cracks and a shake to make
sure no obvious rattle. And like you said, again if you think you heard something to make sure.

These dudes that shake the thing like they are working out with a shake weight. Almost like they trying to find
something wrong instead of checking.

Lets not bring up the salesman anymore...they are better left always forgotten :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It was the manufacturers that informed ASA a few years back that a rattle was an issue with the bat. It was the manufacturers that informed ASA that the rattle could be the inner wall of the bat breaking down.

If the umpire did hear a rattle, he was correct to remove the bat as that is the instruction to the umpire.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
COULD is the key word. Could doesn't mean every bat, actually the opposite, just means there
is a posibility...big difference from a rattle or piece of glue rolling around. But ASA runs with it. But
I do get it, easier to make an overall rule then making umps decide and put them on the spot.

Nobody said he shouldn't have removed the bat, the rule is what it is.

My main point was if only 1 ump has tossed it out in how many have inspected it, and you still have
5 months of warranty...get as much time out the warranty and out of the bat as you can.
Now if the bat is getting taken out every time, then you have no choice. Also, if you only have
a month of warranty left, then also, send it in.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
COULD is the key word. Could doesn't mean every bat, actually the opposite, just means there
is a posibility...big difference from a rattle or piece of glue rolling around. But ASA runs with it. But
I do get it, easier to make an overall rule then making umps decide and put them on the spot.

Not really a spot for the umpire since the only way to tell would be to destroy the bat by opening up the barrel. IOW, the resolution negates the need to check since it would make the bat in question illegal regardless of what was or was not found inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06