Baffled by obstruction non-call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2015
I hung around a tournament after my daughters' team was eliminated yesterday, and watched a play happen that really confused me. The runner was going to 3rd, and the 3rd baseman was standing directly in front of the bag (side facing 2nd). Runner collided with the fielder (ball still in right field), eventually managed to fight her way to the bag, and started on her way home. As she started home, they hit the cutoff and threw it home, and she was tagged out. 3rd base coach was throwing a fit and wanted an obstruction call.

Field ump said because the "obstruction" happened on the 2nd base side of third instead of home plate side, she was rightfully called out at the plate. If that's true, I guess I'll start having my 3rd baseman stand in front of 3rd to slow the runners down.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Correct call. If obstruction occurred between 2nd and 3rd base she's only "protected" until she reaches the next base (3rd). Once she passed 3rd she's at risk. It's a rule that is great misunderstood by coaches to think they can just do anything once they've been obstructed.

Jun 22, 2008
If that is the exact wording the umpire used he is not correct. An obstructed runner may not be put out between the 2 bases where obstructed (there are some exceptions to this) but, just because they advanced beyond 3rd in this case does not necessarily mean the protection from obstruction has ended. If the umpire judged the runner would have reached home absent the obstruction, the runner is protected to home. Basically the obstruction rule is to correct whatever the defense cost the offense by being where they should not have been and impeding the runner. If the runner is put out prior to reaching the base the umpire judges they would have reached absent the obstruction, the ball is dead and all runners affected by the obstruction are awarded the base or bases they would have reached had the obstruction not occurred.

Now, if the umpire judged the runner would not have safely reached home, then yes, the runner is out at home plate. But as stated above, just because the obstruction happened on the 2nd base side of 3rd does not automatically end the protection of the runner if she proceeds past 3rd.

Jun 22, 2008
Correct call. If obstruction occurred between 2nd and 3rd base she's only "protected" until she reaches the next base (3rd). Once she passed 3rd she's at risk. It's a rule that is great misunderstood by coaches to think they can just do anything once they've been obstructed.

This is not correct. Protection does not automatically end if the runner proceeds past the next base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Depending on what you meant by "she fought her way to the bag", and if the runner was obstructed ON or AT third base, as opposed to "before" it, there is another possibility here.

If the runner was obstructed AT or ON third base, then she can't be put out between second and third or between third and home. If the umpire judges that she would not have scored at home, then her "between the two bases" protection would kick in and place her safely back at third base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red