Backswing or no backswing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you all for your replies! I will have her do the pushback and two step drills as shown, with backswing. If dd still decides to pitch with no backswing, well it's up to her! Ty

Jun 19, 2013
"... not using their legs much" really??? have you looked at the same videos I've looked at because those guys go flying out there and they aren't springing off their butts. That may be one of the most bizarre lines I've heard. But then of course there are the other 5 that Javasource has already highlighted.

Mar 21, 2013
Keilani Ricketts had a short backswing and threw hard. Jackie Traina didn't really have one at all and threw hard. If you are looking for a circle type in the glove wind up Jessica Hall (ex UCLA Bruin) in her last 2 few years at UCLA might interest you.

Feb 5, 2010
Worked on the cradle for several years. Found that combining the 2, cradle with short back-swing worked out best. DD always had an issue with the ball going down out of the glove first.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Can you or anyone explain what single pump means? I'm trying to follow the threads and I'm having trouble translating the meanings of things....thanks

Sorry.. I was at clinic. A single pump is simply a pitch without a backswing. It only allows for the ball to travel 360-degrees... during the circle (hence the 'single' circle). The ball never goes behind the body duing the premotion... meaning, there is no backswing. Think of Hillhouse. Does that help?

Dec 20, 2012
I'll make no bones about it... I prefer to teach beginners the motion with a backswing. I do not like really deep/high backswings... but I do like some. Any is some... ;)

I teach speed first, accuracy later.
I know how comfortable and complacent pitchers can become... so I make it a point to teach them how to maximize every motion, everyday... so that they don't plateau.

When they are ready for ESPN... they can style it any way they like.

IOW... I view cradling as a style. I view the backswing as a motion that improves fundamentals... not a style.

You have no idea how refreshing it is to hear that!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi