Back at pitching after some time off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It was such a nice day today DD and I went back at pitching this afternoon. After three weeks off, for me a shinny new knee and DD three weeks off after going after it for over a year. You might have read some of the previous threads, “Never sharper after her layoff!”, DD added 5 MPH with razor sharp control after her month off!”,” DD didn't miss a beat!”. You get the idea. After reading a few of these threads my hopes were for a positive, no really good outing. What did we get? Being that it's the holiday season it was more like a lump of coal. Yes, after three weeks off DD looked just like she had three weeks off. Imagine that. It wasn't all bad, she did start to get back into her rhythm at the end and it looks like a couple more times out and she'll be back in the grove. It just goes to show that every DD is different. On the positive side I'll know more of what to expect after her next time off and maybe just maybe the results won't be another lump of coal.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Stick with it CLM. I am going through a similar situation. DD just completed a 6 week break, mostly due to a busy basketball schedule. First time out looked rough. After a half a dozen pitches she started talking to herself and doing slow motion windmills to figure things out on her own. She does have a pitching coach, so I only lend moral support and don't tinker (much...) By the end of the session she was throwing accurately but probably 3-5 mph slower than prior to the break. She just pitched for the third time today and everything is fine. Her mechanics are back to where they were. Not perfect, but not bad IMO. Speed is probably up 2-3 mph from before the break. See how things go over the next week or two. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

May 29, 2013
New knee huh? Got that baby protected?
My dd has lessons starting the 1st and she has'nt even touched a ball since october. Not expecting too much, but i only have to catch. Let someone else teach for a change.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Thanks for the insight fp26. DD has a B'Day coming up just before the end of the year and a couple more mph would put here right on our target for her end of the year goal. Wishful thinking but she just might hit her goal.

SA, It's called side saddle and nothing was going to get close to my knee!

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Sorry to hear the time off didn't pan out the way you wanted it to. The time off for my DD definitely made an impact, both good and bad. There was a major increase in velocity, but her control wasn't near what it was at the end of fall ball. In fact, her lack of control with the added velocity scared the crap out of me. Needless to say, we have some work to do.

Every girl is different, the time off may have benefits for your DD that you don't see yet. Stay positive and remember----the bucket is often a roller coaster seat. The growth seems to come in spurts and sometimes there are regressions in the process. One foot forward, two steps back, if you will. Just stay consistent in the work ethic and encourage her as much as you can.

Happy Thanksgiving, CLM!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I wouldn't expect a pitcher to come back after a break and have miraculous improvements in mechanics, but rather a refreshening mentally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd