Baby it's cold outside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
I remember one tournament it was in the high 20's when we started warming up. By game time it was above freezing, but it wasn't really that bad. The sun was strong and there was no wind. The WORST was when it was low 40's, a very constant wind, AND raining. Every kid was just miserable and I was angry that they felt the need to make a bunch of 9yo's "toughen up" and play. Just so the tourney folks could get their money of course. No kid was enjoying that.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I've never been to any really cold games.
I've only been to two games where it was cold enough to snow, even a little.
The worst was opening day for DD 3's Little League, mid-May a few years back. For opening day they had announcers for the games, and I usually volunteered.
I had thick gloves, which I had to take off to keep track of the players. Even some snow flurries.

The only other time I was at a game with snow flurries was a warm Christmas Day at Lambeau Field. I really dressed warmly, so I was fine, even when it snowed. Bad day for the Pack. I got a great view of Favre tossing a pick-six to da Bears.

Another time I felt really cold was last home game of the season at Camp Randall Stadium, working a souvenir stand outside the stadium for DS' HS rowing club, the Camp Randall Rowing Club. I was really cold working. At one point I used my stadium pass to sneak into a VIP area, then the star of the Wisconsin Softball team got me kicked out.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
We had our game for today cancelled due to snow and cold. We were supposed to play today the school that blew us out at their place last month. But that isn't the coldest game we've sat through. The coldest game we sat through was a state playoff football game that my brother played in, in November a couple of years ago. It was 15 degrees out with a 15 mph wind that made it feel like it was 10 to 15 below out. I could picture people in Alaska looking down on us saying "wussies".

Right when I was about to move to Wisconsin, I had some discussions with a Wisconsin born fellow on a Native American forum about how to deal with the cold winters. Some guy from Barrow, Alaska made fun of us. He knew Eskimos who went camping when it was -80 (real temperature, not wind chill). He told us the best way to keep warm was wolverine jackets. What do you expect from guys who think grey whale is the best food to eat?

Dec 11, 2010
Last Saturday in NW Illinois we had 40 degrees and 40 mile per hour winds. Rough day. It was in the running for worst ever. Sunday was pretty decent.

Yesterday in eastern Iowa the eight o'clock games were played at 23 degrees. BTW, I heard a USSSA ump felt the need to go through the dugouts and remove all the $30 aluminum wal-mart bats that were about to cause death and disfigurement because they didn't have the thumbprint stamp.

By 1p when my dd played it was chilly at 40 or so but light winds. By the end of the third game it was cold just sitting there watching.

I am still so thankful to be playing. Weather is getting better and most weekends both dd's are playing until August. One is playing her last year of 18's, I will really, really miss these summer's when the ride is over for both.

Oct 2, 2015
Last Saturday in NW Illinois we had 40 degrees and 40 mile per hour winds. Rough day. It was in the running for worst ever. Sunday was pretty decent.

Yesterday in eastern Iowa the eight o'clock games were played at 23 degrees. BTW, I heard a USSSA ump felt the need to go through the dugouts and remove all the $30 aluminum wal-mart bats that were about to cause death and disfigurement because they didn't have the thumbprint stamp.

By 1p when my dd played it was chilly at 40 or so but light winds. By the end of the third game it was cold just sitting there watching.

I am still so thankful to be playing. Weather is getting better and most weekends both dd's are playing until August. One is playing her last year of 18's, I will really, really miss these summer's when the ride is over for both.

Dude! Love the aluminum bat story! :D

Jan 27, 2014
We had to sit through the 20's at about midnight one fall tournament. Some how the girls won despite being miserably cold. It was one of the worst nights of my life, lol. Growing up in AZ and now living in FL I do not like cold.

Dec 11, 2010
Dude! Love the aluminum bat story! :D

Yeah, my buddy who coaches that team was frustrated with it. In our area you just don't see equipment checks in low level open tournaments. Wasn't like there were old school composite Stealths being used, it was all metal yard sale junk type bats people picked up for hitting TCB's etc. they weren't even GOOD alloy bats! The parents were up in arms about it and he basically told them that it was a good thing they all bought bats last winter so they all were still under warranty!

Last spring we had the same weather and I counted dozens of old ROcketech's being used, nobody got their insulated underwear in a bundle.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Today! Temp 39 with winds at 20 gusting up to 31 and it rained. 12U Played 2 games, won both then came back from a quick lunch for 3rd game and tournament was cancelled. Gotta Love Illinois! Next weekend it is suppose to be 70 degrees!

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Saturday was our Opening Day. Started in the 40s with light wind. We had our league parade and 8u/10u started the games. About the 4th inning of our game the wind just picked up to 45MPH from the North. My DD had dirt caked on her face. Game ended in the a tie. About an hour later it was started to rain then suddenly snow. Had to cancel everything at that point. I'm still cleaning dirt out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors