At what point does it become obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

The OP asked "at what point does it become obstruction". The rules are consistent, unlike "how they're called". Bad calls are often a reality many of us choose to live with, sometimes due to ignorance of the rules and sometimes because there is no point in arguing it, but with an uderstanding of the written rules we have the knowledge to protest in situations we choose to.
Over the years, I've found it difficult to protest a non-call.

The only time obstruction seems to get called there is usually no doubt about it as contact occurred and everybody in the ballpark has seen it. In asking for a call, I've quoted umpires the rule many times and they agree with me. They still choose not to call it until they see some contact. I can only speculate as to why this is, but it is. I've seen it in many areas and different parts of the country and at all levels of softball.

It isn't ignorance on my part and I do understand the rule. I just choose to adapt to how it is called and move on, just as I do when a home plate umpire is consistently giving pitchers called strikes that are 2-3" outside. Even though I know the rules and by rule those pitches should not be a strike, I just have my pitchers try to hit the spot and make sure my hitters know they have to do something with that pitch if they see it with two strikes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves