ASU pitcher Dallas Escobedo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Over the last 10 years or so, with the advent of cheap computer-based video, we've learned that coaches were persistently teaching both hitting and pitching techniques that did not match at all what the best players were doing. Hitting has maybe caught on a bit better, but if you read this board you know that a lot of pitching instruction is still way off. I would think that, if anything, we should have learned from that experience to be a bit more careful about proclaiming to know it all. If you can be wrong once, you can be wrong twice. To claim that the pitcher of the #1 ranked team does everything wrong, you have to come with some pretty solid arguments. So far, exactly zero arguments have been presented.

I'm not taking a position as to whether her technique is right or wrong, but it would be interesting to hear some specifics as to why her technique will lead to injuries. Just proclaiming that it is different from what you teach isn't sufficient anymore.

Apr 13, 2010
I agree that she never seems to open. The girls that I have seen throw like that around here have a lot of shoulder pain. Maybe she's a freak? Who really knows?

Jan 27, 2010
She is the only pitcher I see the trainer working on her shoulder between innings in the dugout.

Nov 1, 2009
Mechanics are over rated. Look at the teams still standing and you see a couple who aren't text book. It just goes to show you if you work hard you can succeed.

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't recommend her mechanics to a young pitcher. Escobedo has very small hips and can probably get away with a lot of the old male slingshot style motion because she has no hips to pitch "around". Uneo (Japan) has a similar benefit to her mechanics, although she exploits it differently for great success. I've seen quite a few freshman pitchers with this build this year, I know Traina (Alabama) comes to mind although she has more "text book" mechanics.

I'm curious if anyone knows of pitchers with a classic female build using similar mechanics?

-W

Jul 14, 2008
6nrrrp.gif

New PC Chuck D'Arcy and Dallas on his coaching style.........

"He didn't try to change me"..........

[video]http://youtu.be/zn4iFQT4WfI[/video]

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Very nice. I wouldn't have seen that interview, if it hadn't been posted here.

I have only had 2 closed pitchers come to me for lessons and truthfully, I didn't know what to do with the first one. But, I did know not to try to change her. :) I attempted to teach her the same pitches I was teaching everyone else, but I wasn't successful in getting her speed up, which is what they came to me for. My 2nd closed pitcher is 9 and yes, I tried to change her. But, she persisted. She threw 11 strike outs on Saturday.

I am pulling for ASU to run rule Baylor today. Baylor's game was awesome, last night.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It would be wise to wait and see exactly what her mechanics are in slo-mo before coming to conclusions. To the naked eye it looks awkward but 'the hand is quicker than the eye' there is no doubt about that.

May 22, 2011
they say she throws a really heavy ball, is this another one of those myths or is their a different 68 mph from some pitchers.