ASA qualifing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2012
I know you have to qualify for ASA nationals and the Hall Of Fame but do you need to do anything special to go a regional ASA tournament. We are looking at the 14A western regional in Pasco WA this summer. I have been looking around different sites and can't really find anything, so I thought I would ask the question here where all the know-it-alls hang out.

Mar 26, 2013
It depends on your local association because they 'qualify' teams ASA territorial championships. For SoCal ASA, simply playing in their SoCal State championship will qualify you.

Feb 3, 2011
You're actually looking at the ASA Western Nationals. In order to qualify, your team will need to enter and compete in your local ASA association championships this summer or in the tournament they designate if they combine with another association (or metro). Once you compete in that tournament, then you'll be automatically qualified for Western Nationals.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Keep in mind that the prize for competing a Regional National Tournament is a berth to USA Nationals the following year. That said be careful which division you enter. If you are a older 16U team you will need to enter 18U otherwise much of your team may "age out" if you play 16U. The Regional Nationals are great opportunities for younger teams within their age group.

flarays

Stingrays Gold
Mar 20, 2013
Sunny Orlando Florida
Keep in mind that the prize for competing a Regional National Tournament is a berth to USA Nationals the following year. That said be careful which division you enter. If you are a older 16U team you will need to enter 18U otherwise much of your team may "age out" if you play 16U. The Regional Nationals are great opportunities for younger teams within their age group.

Unless something has changed the above is not totally correct. If you play in an ASA Regional National and are awarded a berth you have the option of taking that berth up to the next age group or staying down in the group it was awarded in. The caveat is you have to have 5 eligible players from the roster that was awarded the berth on the roster and checked in at the ASA/USA Nationals the following year.

Mar 26, 2013
flarays is correct that the top 2 finishers can use their berth at the next age group - see 2014 JO Berth Report. They can't use a Class A berth for Gold Nats. Besides needing at least 5 returning players, the berth belongs to the team with the most players, not the coach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG