ASA holding new event w/ $6k entry fee and prize money

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
I find it interesting that they didn't invite their 16u ASA/USA champs from this past year. Don't you think they would consider their national champions among the teams to be invited? Or do they think that the teams they are trying to lure away from PGF are better?
I presume you're talking about their Class A champs, Ohio Lasers Blue. If ASA is looking at 16U teams, they'd probably rank the 16G champs over 16A. However, the ranking links in the FCS article are both for 18U.

Apr 25, 2010
Those are the only ones I have first hand knowledge of, but I would assume there are others. I understand what you are saying, however, I would imagine they would still feel slighted.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not a fan of this, but....

Like it or not, this all turned to money when the priorities of many changed from playing a team sport for pride and competition to chasing the carrot whether collegiate or Olympic. From postings on this and other boards, it has become quite apparent that organizations want an incentive other than pins, medals & trophies or a berth in a future tournament. No bigger incentive than money.

AFA the $64K, I have little doubt that much of the work will be performed by volunteers, but there is still a fair amount of expense putting on a tournament of this magnitude. And still, it is a business and most businesses are not in it to exist at a break-even level.

Ken is absolutely correct that this serves a small portion of the softball community, but so what? Do not most tournaments? ASA is just playing into the hands of the parents and coaches by informing them that their player will be seen by a prominent coach or two.

BTW, the scheduling shouldn’t surprise anyone. Did not PGF do the same thing in the early years?

JMHO

Sep 18, 2011
Not a fan of this, but....

Like it or not, this all turned to money when the priorities of many changed from playing a team sport for pride and competition to chasing the carrot whether collegiate or Olympic. From postings on this and other boards, it has become quite apparent that organizations want an incentive other than pins, medals & trophies or a berth in a future tournament. No bigger incentive than money.

AFA the $64K, I have little doubt that much of the work will be performed by volunteers, but there is still a fair amount of expense putting on a tournament of this magnitude. And still, it is a business and most businesses are not in it to exist at a break-even level.

Ken is absolutely correct that this serves a small portion of the softball community, but so what? Do not most tournaments? ASA is just playing into the hands of the parents and coaches by informing them that their player will be seen by a prominent coach or two.

BTW, the scheduling shouldn’t surprise anyone. Did not PGF do the same thing in the early years?

JMHO

I agree with your post and yet I still think this tournament is more than a little disturbing. "Prize money" and "amateur athletics" don't go together. "Prize money" and "youth sports" is even worse. The pressure on the kids knowing that if they win one particular game they will be "in the money," but if they lose they will be out, just like some poker tournament... yikes. As someone mentioned earlier, coaches and parents will lose their minds. The whole concept smacks of adults gambling on youth sports. I don't like it, but to each his own.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Will teams charge each player a portion of the entrance fee? Would the winning team split the winnings with their players? Is this gambling? Would winning money in a softball tournament have an effect on a players eligibility with the NCAA? If the organization is the only one who benefits, why would a parent want to do it?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
You would think ASA covered the eligibility aspect with NCAA before offering this.
Personally do not like the whole thing, but to each his own.

Jun 1, 2013
Will teams charge each players a portion of the entrance fee? Would the winning team split the winnings with their players? Is this gambling? Would winning money in a softball tournament have an effect on a players eligibility with the NCAA? If the organization is the only one who benefits, why would a parent want to do it?

Even though the money is paid to the organization you know it will be filtered down to the player in some way or the other. Besides room cost and other travel expenses a team of 10 rostered girls would be looking at $600 a piece for entry fees. How can anyone ask that of a parent or player and not return some of that prize money to them? Get ready for team fees to jump on the or go that are invited. We all know that an organization is not going to front the 6k.

Sep 11, 2009
Does anyone know what the individual player eligibility requirements are? In other words are they using ASA Gold (i.e. no college players) or 18U A (college freshman who are still 18U eligible and younger)?

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Agree with others who have posted here about this feeling very wrong. It sounds like a men's bowling league to me where much of the money collected goes for cash prizes to the top finishers at the end of the season ... except these are kids ...

Even if this somehow passes the threshold of NCAA amateur eligibility, what about the state athletic organizations for those girls playing high school ball.

I have no affiliation or loyalty to any of the associations ... my DD grew up playing ASA softball, but the ASA has taken a giant and desperate step backward in my eyes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd