Anyone ever built an outbuilding to use for winter practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2016
Western Pa
Hi,

I live in Western Pa where during the months from November through March we are very limited as far as outdoor practices due to temperatures. I am considering building a pole building on my property and would like to size it correctly to be able to use it for some softball work with my daughter over the winter months. Has anyone on here built something similar? I am looking for suggestions on size including height, wall & ceiling material options & best colors, lighting, etc. I have a gas well on my property so will install a natural gas heater and also insulate the building. I have talked to builders and this all seems very doable, I just want to make sure I make it big enough to be functional but small enough to heat effectively when we are using it. I would like to use it for pitching practice as well as hitting by installing a batting cage net. My initial thoughts are 24' wide x 60' long x 12' wall height. Anyone with any expirience doing something similar please chime in as I am sure there are many factors I haven't even thought to consider.

Thanks

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
--Inside Joke ON--
Pole barns are awesome. You want it big enough to have the entire team over then you can get on any team and your DD can have whatever number she likes, even if someone already has it...
--Inside Joke OFF--

Your thoughts are good and you can make it out of anything suitable for the area that you can heat effectively if you go ahead and put netting inside to make a batting/practice tunnel to protect the walls. That way you don't have to worry about softballs damaging everything. Also it will make it easier to repurpose the building when softball is done - take the nets down, put in a couch and TV and BAM - man cave... Actually you may as well make it slightly bigger and do that anyway.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have a gas well on my property so will install a natural gas heater
Have to ask. Would it be safe to 'tap' into a natural gas well. Natural gas is colorless & odorless. You would be unable to detect a gas leak with out a GDI.

Feb 4, 2016
Western Pa
Have to ask. Would it be safe to 'tap' into a natural gas well. Natural gas is colorless & odorless. You would be unable to detect a gas leak with out a GDI.

Yes, using natural gas to heat homes is the norm in my area. It's what I currently use to heat my house & garage.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes, using natural gas to heat homes is the norm in my area. It's what I currently use to heat my house & garage.

Natural gas from a gas company has mercaptan added, which give it the distinctive rotten egg smell. A natural gas well, that has not been processed would be odorless and colorless.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Friend of my has a 30×50×12 pole barn. We installed two 12' w batting cages, one full length to pitch or hit, the other is around 40', for a pitching machine. We use a wood stove during the winter months. It has worked out great so far. 60' in length would be good, would definitely go wider than 24'. 30' is alittle tight with 2 lanes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan