any tricks to controlling the flip change.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I found it is best to flip it across not up, finishing with your hand near your glove side hip. That helps keep it down and not float. You should end with a spin somewhat like a curveball. It is a very simple pitch yet many struggle with it because they cannot "feel" the pitch. I found that daily practice of about 50 pitches (2 buckets) for a couple of weeks will make a big difference. This is not necessarily full on motion, just start from an open position with the ball at 9 and toss to target (bucket). Once you start getting the hang of it and can feel it you can progress to full motion. I like for my students to throw at least 200-300 CU every week.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In addition to Quincy's advice, I like to pretend there's a table in front of her.... and say "keep the back of your hand under the table" this will keep the ball low in the zone and will help prevent the dreaded over the back stop pitch.:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't flip it. I keep a stiff wrist. The ball comes off of my thumb last, with my hand out in front of my front foot. I call it 8 o'clock.

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
I don't flip it. I keep a stiff wrist. The ball comes off of my thumb last, with my hand out in front of my front foot. I call it 8 o'clock.

What is 8 oclock? 8 o'clock and then u say out front of the front foot? This makes no sense to me....8 o'clock is behind you? Can you further explain? Thanks !

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I think lots of people go wrong with trying to flip it up, because of the name "flip change". My dd had good progress with it when I told her not to flip it up, I explained that the flipping over of the arm before release was to stop the whip or I/R, her CU started looking way better. For her knowing why helped her to execute it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk