Any punishment needed here? ineligible players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Ouch, reading that hurt my eyes. When I finished, I was relieved to discover that this was just a blog post, not an actual news article.

As for penalties, readers unfamiliar with the story or HS athletics in that area don't have nearly enough information to draw any reasonable conclusions (from this piece alone).

Oct 18, 2009
I guess what struck me about this is that it is a state championship caliber team with players playing who really should have been ineligible.

My initial thought was that why should players be penalized for trying to get a better/ different experience at a different school? They should have the right to do what is best for their kid.

Then after thinking about it a little I thought about how allowing kids to transfer with no penalty opens up a whole lot of other issues, like creating powerhouse HS teams, etc., basically taking away the spirit of what HS sports would be.

I don't know what players allegedly transferred improperly (without sitting). But lets just say it was the pitcher(s) that won almost all their games? Does that feel right that they should probably win another state championship? Even if it wasn't the pitcher, should the penalty be different if it wasn't an impact player?

Not even sure what I think the penalty should be. What would happen in football? Or basketball?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In my state, they are ineligible for all of the year and the school loses all of the games. We just had this happen in both girl's and boy's basketball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Of course it's my current state of residence. 30 days isn't much of a penalty. There is a good chance the team will forfeit all the games these kids played in. 19-1 to 1-19. They will probably still win the championship for their group.

I don't think moving kids around is good. It promotes quitting and moving on if things are not the best for your particular situation. Well guess what a lot of stuff happens in life that doesn't always seem to go your way. We all can't pack up and move every time it happens so perhaps it's best to try to figure a way to improve upon your position. I realize there are some circumstances where there is no improving but hopping teams just to try and win a championship is not one of them.

DDs team is going to be in dire straits the next couple of years with no pitcher and none on the horizon. Time for her to get better at blocking and improving her BA. We aren't moving looking for a pitcher.

Apr 11, 2012
We aren't moving looking for a pitcher.

sounds like you don't have to....? If the punishment is only a 30 day suspension, why not just "fess up" at the beginning of next season, sit out a month so the team won't have to forfeit any games, re-join them for the second half of the season and get ready for the state play-offs....?

In Missouri, it's a 365 day suspension and a forfeits of any games participated in....a player also must have 10 days of practice in so if you get caught during the season, the remaining season is gone and probably the next......

Mar 26, 2013
They have to determine whether any rules were broken and, if so, take the prescribed action. They can't ignore the violation. If people don't like the rules, they need to change them.

The playoff implications are another matter. In our area, forfeiting all those games would keep them from qualifying for the playoffs. It sounds like they would still be eligible there and that might result in an unfair match-up for their first round opponent that would normally be facing a weak team.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Fastpitch, I don't know who the kids are. I figure it will come out in the wash.

SoCal, if they were serious they would not let them participate in the States. Make the pay the 30 day penalty next season. That would get some people's attention here. I do feel that you should be able to move schools in the summer and not be penalized and if you really move you aren't. Apparently these kids parents claimed they moved but others say no.

Mar 26, 2013
SoCal, if they were serious they would not let them participate in the States. Make the pay the 30 day penalty next season. That would get some people's attention here. I do feel that you should be able to move schools in the summer and not be penalized and if you really move you aren't.
What they should do and can do are different things. They can only go by the rules currently in effect - they shouldn't deviate from them. If enough people disagree with the current rules, they should change them for the future.

The rules should have severe penalties for willfull falsification.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67