Another rollover drop convert

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
I'm not the convert but apparently dd has. Her pc was a mens FP player who teaches the peel but between dd's high school season and the pc's summer schedule with his travel team we haven't seen him in months. Dd was struggling to get any movement on her peel so her teammate showed her how she throws a rollover and she picked it up immediately.

I won't discourage her from throwing what works for her but I have encouraged her to not give up on the peel. The problem we seem to have is that the peel is so similar mechanically to a fastball that often times they end up being one and the same. Her pc is retiring from coaching travel this summer so we should get more time to work with him starting next month but I'm wondering if many other pitchers out there throw both a peel and rollover drop?

Jan 25, 2011
IMO,I would only throw one.I would stick with the peel and ditch the roll over.Just because you have to change your mech. to throw the roll over and also why give the batter the advantage of picking up on the rollover drop,keep working the peel,could be just a release issue.thats my 2cents worth

May 18, 2012
Arizona
My kid mixes the peel and 2 seam...and uses them both as her fastballs. Gives the batter a different look. She also learned the roll drop, mainly because she was struggling to learn a change up. With this pitch she is able to hold it lightly and hard. Or she can choke it back into her hand to take speed off of it. To this day, it's still her best change up.

We're big fans of the pitch because of its versitility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877