Alumni player or have to tryout for a spot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Just a couple questions...and a couple observations....not on you, but on what I've experienced.

When you "assisted" at practice, did you instruct? We're you telling girls what they were doing wrong when batting? When you were catching for them, were you telling the girls what they needed to be doing or how to do it? In games were you giving tips to batters or fielders? Did you offer advice to the coach during practice on who needed to be where, etc? I'm just trying to get a gauge on what else may be going on here.

I've had parents really upset with me when their child, who wasn't previously on my team, didn't make the roster. They've explained how they were exceptional players (not good, but excellent). I've had others who were beside themselves that I wouldn't open my roster to put 3-4 more girls on it who were as good as any I had (in their eyes). What I have found is their are basically two types of parents. The first, no matter how good or bad their child is, they see every flaw and remember primarily the bad plays. The second, no matter how good or bad the child is, doesn't remember the bad plays except as how they relate to the bad plays others have made as well. They remember every good hit, every good play.

The first parent will usually tell their child why they didn't make the team. They'll point out all the areas of needed improvement and grab a ball when they get home and start work before they hear from the coach. The second usually contacts the coach and could possibly even argue with the coach on how good their DD is when he explains they will not be offered a spot.

Again, I'm not placing you in either category, or assuming anything about you or your DD. Only giving MY observations on how a lot of this stuff usually goes. But I'd be willing to bet that either way, your DD will be able to find a team to play for if its like it is around here right now. A lot of teams are scrambling to fill spots. You may find that it will benefit her better being on a team with a slightly smaller roster anyway. 13 is a hard number to work with...for me anyway.

Feb 7, 2013
For example, when my DD was 8, 9, 10, and 11 years old, we visited machine batting cages bi-weekly hitting balls starting with slow pitch softball, then 40 mph baseball, then 60 mph baseball. All on our own. Her development during those early years, when she wanted to work hard, and be with her dad, continues to pay dividends. These days she does not care for dad, only does the amount of work the team requires (no extra), but keeps getting by because she can hit.

A little off subject, but you bring up a great point that players need to continually improve and work on their game outside of practice or they will likely be passed over by more dedicated and talented players. Players should never assume they are guaranteed a spot on any competitive team. If your kid gets cut, have a heart to heart with the coaches to determine what areas your DD needs to improve and then work hard for next season. Someone recently said about constructive criticism, "You have two choices, you can be bitter or you can get better".

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We were never given any stats, I have no idea of her batting average, etc.

Having no idea of your daughter's batting stats is probably a sign that you're a healthy parent. :)

But on the other hand, if you have no idea of her stats, my guess is that you probably don't have a good idea of her true hitting ability relative to the other players. The difference between a .375 hitter and a .275 hitter isn't always obvious to the naked eye, but it can explain why one player is kept and another is not. Unless you're an outstanding pitcher, catcher or shortstop, it probably comes down to hitting.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
Just a couple questions...and a couple observations....not on you, but on what I've experienced.

When you "assisted" at practice, did you instruct? We're you telling girls what they were doing wrong when batting? When you were catching for them, were you telling the girls what they needed to be doing or how to do it? In games were you giving tips to batters or fielders? Did you offer advice to the coach during practice on who needed to be where, etc? I'm just trying to get a gauge on what else may be going on here.

I've had parents really upset with me when their child, who wasn't previously on my team, didn't make the roster. They've explained how they were exceptional players (not good, but excellent). I've had others who were beside themselves that I wouldn't open my roster to put 3-4 more girls on it who were as good as any I had (in their eyes). What I have found is their are basically two types of parents. The first, no matter how good or bad their child is, they see every flaw and remember primarily the bad plays. The second, no matter how good or bad the child is, doesn't remember the bad plays except as how they relate to the bad plays others have made as well. They remember every good hit, every good play.

The first parent will usually tell their child why they didn't make the team. They'll point out all the areas of needed improvement and grab a ball when they get home and start work before they hear from the coach. The second usually contacts the coach and could possibly even argue with the coach on how good their DD is when he explains they will not be offered a spot.

Again, I'm not placing you in either category, or assuming anything about you or your DD. Only giving MY observations on how a lot of this stuff usually goes. But I'd be willing to bet that either way, your DD will be able to find a team to play for if its like it is around here right now. A lot of teams are scrambling to fill spots. You may find that it will benefit her better being on a team with a slightly smaller roster anyway. 13 is a hard number to work with...for me anyway.

To answer your questions.... When I was pitching, I was asked by the coach - I never instructed (he did) I simply pitched to the players. While catching in on the field before games it was the coach hitting & instructing & the girls simply throwing into me instead of pulling a girl off the field from fielding. I never stepped foot on the field during a practice or game unless the coach indicated he needed help - I offered & he said please, yes! The coach came to me (as he knew I played in HS & TB in my days) and asked my opinions.... but I would usually just agree with him... and when it came to my DD I ALWAYS said, I'm bias, so that's your call!
I see myself in between - I want to fight my side of why she should have made it, but know it will do no good! I don't sugar coat it... If she had a bad game, she was told! We had a 30 min ride home after practices & home games... those 30 min are discussed on how her plays or other plays went wrong & what should have happened! (not always her mistakes, but helps her learn the game) I by no means say she is a star, an excellent player or a great player... he is a good player! Knows the game, listens to instruction, takes lessons, etc. But I would also not tell her why she didn't make the team as I believe she was as good as the ones that made the team... and better then some of the girls but also worse then some of the girls. Again - middle of the road player! We were told she knows the game so well that the coach was comfortable putting her anywhere. (now that could have been a line - but either way that's what we as parents were told)

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
True! and thank you... She is in school softball now - practicing & hitting for 3 hours daily or games, and this week 6 games!! I will continue to search for a team & taking lessons! She has improved greatly over the years & we will keep those efforts there :) From last years school ball til this years, there has been a few parents that have really complimented her!!!

Jul 6, 2013
Yup..and that's probably the best indicator of her progress. Softball parents can be harsh. And when they see good improvement and comment about it, you can be sure she is getting better!

Apr 1, 2010
Not too big a mystery if I read everything right.

The thing that caught my eye is this comment:

Out of the 70+ games. She only played 3 full games (2 were 4 inning 10 run rule games too), but we never once complained to the coaches!​

In travel that profile sounds like the coaches believe she is at the lower end of the roster. Whether they are right or wrong in their player assessment (and I could only tell by being there in person) - this is their view.

I agree. Sitting that much is a big red flag that the coaches don't perceive her to be one of their valuable players. And it's incredibly hard to alter someone's perception once it's been formed. IMO your DD will have a better chance if she can make a fresh start with a different team, one where the coach's daughter doesn't play her primary position and where the coaches aren't basing their perceptions on the past, but will only be seeing her now, after her progress from the additional lessons and practice time she has had.

In spring of 2012, after she came back from an ankle problem, my DD's coaches seemed to lose confidence in her. She wasn't catching at all, was at the bottom of the batting lineup or out of it, and was only getting an occasional inning (in the OF, which isn't the best position for her). We stuck it out until the end of the season and then left. She missed some of the girls from that previous team, but she's far happier now. Hopefully, a year from now, your DD will be far happier too!

It's good that you weren't all hung up with stats, but as CoogansBluff mentioned, stats can explain a lot. I'm a bit OCD perhaps, but I'd rather know that my DD's hitting was x-many percentage points lower than the team average, etc. so that I would understand why she's not being valued and could give her a goal to accomplish rather than just being left wondering why my DD's not getting to play or not being kept on the team while others are. Knowledge is power.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
I agree. Sitting that much is a big red flag that the coaches don't perceive her to be one of their valuable players. And it's incredibly hard to alter someone's perception once it's been formed. IMO your DD will have a better chance if she can make a fresh start with a different team, one where the coach's daughter doesn't play her primary position and where the coaches aren't basing their perceptions on the past, but will only be seeing her now, after her progress from the additional lessons and practice time she has had.

In spring of 2012, after she came back from an ankle problem, my DD's coaches seemed to lose confidence in her. She wasn't catching at all, was at the bottom of the batting lineup or out of it, and was only getting an occasional inning (in the OF, which isn't the best position for her). We stuck it out until the end of the season and then left. She missed some of the girls from that previous team, but she's far happier now. Hopefully, a year from now, your DD will be far happier too!

It's good that you weren't all hung up with stats, but as CoogansBluff mentioned, stats can explain a lot. I'm a bit OCD perhaps, but I'd rather know that my DD's hitting was x-many percentage points lower than the team average, etc. so that I would understand why she's not being valued and could give her a goal to accomplish rather than just being left wondering why my DD's not getting to play or not being kept on the team while others are. Knowledge is power.

I mean we knew it wasn't good & we were obviously frustrated, but with 13 kids on the team and the way he had the girls everywhere each inning I just thought he was unorganized & didn't keep track!
I just reached out to last years head coach and asked for stats - maybe that will really shed light on it all for me! (The coach that moved up to 14U that didn't take her was an assistant coach)
We have moved on, don't want to burn bridges as we are in a very small town & have to travel to even find a team... I was just curious (for the future) what to expect from TB teams or was this the norm.
Again thanks!!

Jul 2, 2013
Keep your DD's batting stats. Know when she is hitting good. Know when she is off. I always kept her stats myself. Sure I may have been accused of being biased in my score-keeping, but I always knew where she stood relative to other players.

If you hit in the top half of the team, they will move you around and find a position. Hit in the bottom half of the team, and your DD is always on the bubble.

It is when you get to the cream of the crop teams, A-level, gold teams, that being a great hitter may not be enough. Other factors take over, as most all the players can then hit at a high level.

Make sure your DD keeps her weight down. Heavy players at 12U, only get heavier, and wash out. Push yourself away from the dinner table, something rarely mentioned, and has very little to do with effort, or commitment to a coach. This is something that must be done at home.

Parents don't realize how important weight is. Players spend thousands of hours practicing, playing, and miss the core problem area of being too heavy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1