Alumni player or have to tryout for a spot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
See, this is what i have heard.... My daughter was a dedicated, committed player! The coach put her at 7 different positions (sometimes 4-5 different positions a game) and never heard a complaint out of her! She is no stand out player, but a very good player! We went to tryouts & was under the impression she had a strong chance of returning since she played for them before (although nothing was promised). We even brought my DDs best friend from our town to better the team. They chose the best friend & did not offer my DD a spot! Tryouts are over! We are searching for a team, but distance is an issue... Most teams with spots are about an hour away - something I can't do to her on school nights!
I am probably taking his too personally, but just feel betrayed as there was NO indication she wouldn't be asked back! Rookie mistake I guess!?!

Sounds like more going on than meets the eye. Team trying to upgrade, and in a rural area with not a lot to choose from. When the team is the only game in town, the balance of power shifts dramatically to the team. They pick up a couple of better players. Pick up a few more because they are connected by friends and other, and a hard working player is left out.

I feel bad for you, but do offer the opinion that eventually ALL softball players will get shorted in softball at one point in time during their career. It is the ones who dust themselves off, go to work at softball, figure out what you possibly could have done different, get back after it, that end up making it. Missing a season is not always the end. Go to a batting cage, become a great hitter, the bat gets you the farthest, the quickest.

Remember, this situation is not your fault. Nor from the sound of it your DD's fault. Eventually it will happen to almost everybody, some how, some way. I have seen plenty of above average players flat out quit after getting stepped on and realize they may not be the greatest softball player in the land (as their parents hope).

Sounds like a young ball player, in a limited softball area. Do contact the coach and try to get an explanation. Not for spite, but to figure out if he can explain why, and what he thinks your hard working softball player should do. If only to keep a bridge open for you never know who will quit on his new team.

For example, when my DD was 8, 9, 10, and 11 years old, we visited machine batting cages bi-weekly hitting balls starting with slow pitch softball, then 40 mph baseball, then 60 mph baseball. All on our own. Her development during those early years, when she wanted to work hard, and be with her dad, continues to pay dividends. These days she does not care for dad, only does the amount of work the team requires (no extra), but keeps getting by because she can hit.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I am probably taking his too personally, but just feel betrayed as there was NO indication she wouldn't be asked back! Rookie mistake I guess!?!

That's tough. Sorry for your daughter's sake. I tend to think that coaches don't reward loyalty enough, that too many want to win for their sake and not for their players. I can't judge any team that I don't see, though. Just my general thoughts on the world of travel ball.

Question - What number did she bat in the lineup in bracket games in the last couple of tournaments? How did she hit this season? What would you want the coach to have told you prior to tryouts?

When you say there was no indication, from a coach's perspective, it's not easy to communicate this to a specific family or player unless you are pretty sure the player isn't going to make it. You don't really know the chances that a player won't make it back until you see tryouts. It's also dangerous to tell the players who is safe and who isn't. You don't want that information circulation among the families. So it might be that all you can do is make it clear that nobody's spot is safe and that you're looking to find the best 11 players and build the best team without regard to who was with the team last season.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
She batted all over the place, 2nd, 5, 6, 7, 8..... She had some big hits, even a double this season - but had her share of strike outs & walks too! She made errors, she wasnt perfect.... But even the best players on the team had these days! Out of the 70+ games. She only played 3 full games (2 were 4 inning 10 run rule games too), but we never once complained to the coaches! When the coach asked for sponsors, we got him 2. When the coach gave us raffle tix for the 4th raffle to raise money - we bought them. when he asked everyone to stay at this more expensive hotel so the entire team was together, we did (even when an assistant coach didnt). We were the ONLY player that lived out of town & never missed optional hitting practice!
I did contact the coach asking him why she didnt make the team, what happened - he read it - but he wont answer me! I didnt want to seem pushy & continue just incase he gets an opening, or coaches again next year!

Feb 19, 2012
West US
My DD has emailed a few coaches after tryouts before.

First thanking them for their time and opportunity to tryout, and to ask their opinion on her strengths/weaknesses, and where she fell short in their needs. She was cut as a returning player one year and was in the pits, but in all honesty her tryout was poor-effort, hustle, overconfidence.

If the coach doesn't respond that's on him, I would say look at your other options, or work on your own with her or get her training privately for the year. Many places have message boards you could advertise her availability to other teams for pick up etc.

Being cut is part of the ride, but those coaches who don't communicate clearly are bound to create their own problems as well.

Don't burn a bridge, softballs a very small world.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
We were/are one of the few parents that put their child in private lessons (both hitting & pitching). She had a great tryout!!! Actually the star of the team from the previous year couldnt hit a ball fair for te life of her - and yes, she made the team! She hustled, she hit well, she fielded great! I feel we were great parents, were on time! I even doned my cleats & glove & pitched to the girls at practice ( when asked to of course - as i used to pitch). Coach needed someone pre-game to catch in, i grabbed my glove & took the field to help.
I guess its just one of those mysteries!?!?!?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Yes, it is a pretty good mystery. You've got me intrigued.

You describe your daughter as ''a very good player'' who is very committed, makes all the practices, takes hitting and pitching lessons.

There are only two reasons that can explain releasing a player like this -

- This team is rich with talent and got even richer during tryouts, making it such that ''very good'' is not good enough any more.

- Your assessment of your daughter doesn't match the assessment of the coach. He doesn't think she's as good/valuable as you think she is.

It's disappointing that the coach hasn't responded to your email. He owes you some kind of explanation, even if it's generic - 'We feel that we've got 11 better players,' or that 'We feel the players we chose give us the strongest team.' Coach also can give feedback on areas that your daughter needs the most improvement.

I do think it's important to get an accurate assessment of your daughter's skills. I really don't get a good sense of her abilities based on your description. She plays all over the field. She bats all over the lineup. She's very good, yet doesn't make the team. If she's not good enough defensively to hold down a key defensive spot, then she really needs to bring a big bat. What was her batting average, on-base PCT and slugging PCT relative to the team's?

But in any event, I don't want to dwell too much on her skills. If she's a travel quality player, then she's a good player.

Most important thing is that it hurts when your team doesn't bring you back. Tough for her, tough for you. Very sorry.

I do think that too many coaches too often putting winning ahead of loyalty. I can't judge your coach unless I seet the team up close, and there are times when roster changes need to be made, but too often coaches make winning more important than the girls and families on the team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The coach put her at 7 different positions (sometimes 4-5 different positions a game) and never heard a complaint out of her!

Rec ball coaches will move players to multiple positions during a game and throughout the season. In TB a player that plays multiple positions is either a STUD "utility" player, or someone who does not excel at any position, so the coach "buys" them an inning here or there whenever they can. You need to pay attention to the game situation when your DD is playing the different positions. If the game does not matter or is out of hand, a lot of coaches will move girls around.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We were/are one of the few parents that put their child in private lessons (both hitting & pitching). She had a great tryout!!! Actually the star of the team from the previous year couldnt hit a ball fair for te life of her - and yes, she made the team! She hustled, she hit well, she fielded great! I feel we were great parents, were on time! I even doned my cleats & glove & pitched to the girls at practice ( when asked to of course - as i used to pitch). Coach needed someone pre-game to catch in, i grabbed my glove & took the field to help.

Not too big a mystery if I read everything right.

The thing that caught my eye is this comment:

Out of the 70+ games. She only played 3 full games (2 were 4 inning 10 run rule games too), but we never once complained to the coaches!

In travel that profile sounds like the coaches believe she is at the lower end of the roster. Whether they are right or wrong in their player assessment (and I could only tell by being there in person) - this is their view.

Assuming mostly the same coaches and an opportunity to keep most of the core 'top' players, I am having tryouts to improve the players I see as being at the lower part of the roster for the next season. That would include a player with the above sort of profile - someone who has moved around the batting order (and mainly in the bottom half) and is spending significant time on the bench.

I have an open tryout - but I have already told my core girls "We will have an open tryout, but you are on the team - but you have to be at the tryouts for potential new players can see the sort of player they will be playing with."

I have told the rest of the girls on the roster "We liked what you did this season but there will be open tryouts. Your spot is not guaranteed but you have an inside track" i.e. We like you, but if someone better or someone we feel is a better fit does turn up we will be seriously considering them. It is a bit of a 'have your cake and eat it too' scenario but it is pretty realistic for most competitive teams.

I love the people who say "We take the best 12 - no spot is guaranteed" but surprise, surprise - 7 core girls from last year made this years tea. I know 99% of the girls who play within the 'travel' distance of our fields so if I KNOW if I already have a player who wants to play that no one is going to displace so I am going to privately offer her a spot before tryouts because I don't want them shopping about - but I still need them at tryouts because potential new players need to see they are on the team. This is because other players who come to tryouts also already know the best players just their presence will be seen as making the team more attractive to a new recruit. The quality of their actual tryout is less important as everyone know what kind of player they are (I still demand full effort but if they don't hit the ball at the tryout I am still taking them - I know they perform on game day). Good players tend to follow other good players to teams.

My friend says that if you are on a team and they don't offer you a guaranteed position before next season's tryout - assume they are looking to replace you and you should start shopping around yourself. He is doing this with his DD right now (her original team is making a HUGE mistake with inexperienced coaches who thinks the girls will be more motivated if they have a true open tryout while all it is doing is make the players look to see what is out there).

Now the good news - so what. There are other teams even if they are less convenient - or other sports - or just practicing and trying to get on the 'guest player' radar (if you don't make a team, call every coach locally and let them know you are available if they are ever short). You haven't burned any bridges so maybe you go back in the future - in most cases I would bet you will not. More playing time and development somewhere else might be the right thing for your daughter. Nothing like being on the field for every inning of every game to get better and sometimes a new coach profiles her differently than her previous coach (new eyes and all that).

Also don't stop being the great family to have on the team. It will help - it just wasn't enough this time for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
I'm not trying to be one of those parents "my daughters the best", as I said it the other posts, she is no stand out player, she makes errors, she had her hitting slumps this past year! But she is a GOOD player! There were the standard 4 girls that sat 1/2 of EVERY game. 2 of those 4 that always sat got asked back, 1 of which NEVER hit the ball the entire season!
We were never given any stats, I have no idea of her batting average, etc.
Her position (2nd) was also the coaches daughters position... Her 2nd choice was also the homerun hitters position... They could never find a good 3rd basement out of all of the girls so they had 6 different girls play there. From my perspective if you don't think she is a good player you would stick her in right field - but she played 2nd, SS, 3rd, pitched, left & center.
She was a middle of the road player, never cried when she didn't get a hit (as some did), never threw her glove or bat (as a handful of the other girls), never rolled her eyes at the ump & throw her hands in the air while pitching cuz she thought it was a strike (as another pitcher did). I guess this is what I see (and of course you don't)... a middle of the road player that takes lessons to improve, is dedicated with a good attitude! that's where I feel its a mystery!?! But as you say a parent & a coach doesn't always see the same thing & I understand that.
I was just curious what others see & experience with returning players.... lesson learned - I will ask the next TB coach if she has a spot for the next year BEFORE tryouts!
Thanks for listening & giving your options everyone!!!

Jun 11, 2013
In out situation the coaches either keep you for the next year or ask you to leave and then have tryouts. Sometimes being able to play several positions is the same as not being good at any one of them. I would encourage your DD to really start focusing on a couple of positions and working at them. As others have said there is always a core that aren't trying out. The problem for the last 5 or 6 is that these players may be good, but not much different than the new 3 or 4 trying out. Often coaches tend to see the deficiencies of their current players and the potential of a new player.

It sounds like you DD is a hard working good player. There are teams that love this type of player and I hope she finds one. I know from first hand experience how hard it is to not make a team, but I can assure you that as we got older, many of the players that got picked over me fell by the wayside as I continued to improve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1