Alexi Casilla is ruled out by 2nd base umpire for not getting out of way while on 2B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I know... it is baseball, but I can imagine this happening in softball.

9/22: Alexi Casilla is ruled out by the second-base umpire for not getting out of the way of Jhonny Peralta attempting to make a catch.

Was this the right call? If so, what should Casilla have done to avoid this situation? (and not get tagged out / doubled off?)

Baseball Oddities | MIN@DET: Casilla ruled out for interfering with catch - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

This situation is covered in the ASA Rules Supplements (#33).

Basically, if the runner is touching a legally occupied base when the hinderance occurs, the interference must be intentional. In the video presented, I would not have interference on the runner as I did not see any intentional act by the runner to interfere with the fielder.

I do not know the applicable baseball rule, however.

Mar 13, 2010
Careful....
You're talking apples and oranges here.
You're referencing an ASA rules interp. for a play that occurred in a MLB game played under the Officail Rules of Baseball.

Jun 22, 2008
Cant get it to let me block and copy, but, according to MLB rule 7.08 b the action by the runner would have to be deemed intentional by the umpire to be called out. Same as ASA. Im not sure where the umpire would deem what the runner did in this video to be intentional. He ran back to the base, stood on it and wasnt even looking at the play.

Finally got it to block and copy.

(b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.
If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd have to go with Comp on this one. Casilla never looked to see where the ball would land, he might have known it would be close to 2b but not directly on top of him. He played it perfect, he turned his back and looked down. No way intentional.

ASA or not, that happens exactly like the video..........."girls, coach is heading to the parking lot again, hey blue......got a minute".

Oct 24, 2010
I'd have to go with Comp on this one. Casilla never looked to see where the ball would land, he might have known it would be close to 2b but not directly on top of him. He played it perfect, he turned his back and looked down. No way intentional.

I'm not arguing for interference, but how about willful ignorance of where the ball is or will land? Certainly willful ignorance of the fielder attempting to make a play.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'm not arguing for interference, but how about willful ignorance of where the ball is or will land? Certainly willful ignorance of the fielder attempting to make a play.

Well it appeared that the umpire was saying he needed to tun around and look where the ball was, but my question is, so he looks to where the ball is, what is he supposed to do? Come off the bag to get out of the way? Interesting call nonetheless.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
the umps that worked that game have agreed that the wrong call was made. They went to both managers before the next game to explain the call and that it was mishandled. Luckily it was not a close game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA