Age cutoff question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
This is going to be one of the dumbest question asked to some of you, but some of the parents in my DDs rec. league have totally confused the heck out of me.

Our rec. league age cutoff is Dec. 31st, 2015 for next years spring/summer league. I always thought that it meant that whatever age your DD is on or before that date is the age group that she will play on. So my daughter turned 8 last month meaning that she will be 9 before Dec. 31st, 2015 for next years sign-up. With that in mind, I know that she will be 8 during the whole season, but because she will be 9 before the end of the year, she should have to play 10U correct?

We are new to this city and I have parents asking me to coach their daughter again next year in the 8U league even though their daughter turned 8 before mine did.

Could someone please tell me that I am correct or very crazy! It's not that often that I feel that I am right against so many people.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sorry, you have this one wrong :)

For next season, it is normally age as of 12/31/14 or 1/1/15... not 12/31/15, therefore if your daughter just turned 8, she can play 8U all of 2015 (ignoring the whole age up thing that happens in August for travel teams)

Sometimes it is easier to think of it via birth year.

For 2015:

2000/2001 = 14U
2002/2003 = 12U
2004/2005 = 10U
2006/2007 = 8U

(Unless your league is doing something that no other league is doing with their ages)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Your leagues birthdate cutoff is the ASA Softball birthdate cutoff. Marriard has it right, your age on January 1st is your playing age for that entire year.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
Okay, so I was looking at the age cutoff backwards. I was thinking that whatever age you turned before Dec. 31st was the age you would be considered for the rest of the year. Now this makes so much more sense. Whatever the players age is on Jan. 1st is the age they will be considered for the remainder of the year. Thank you to both of you for clearing this up for me. Good news for me as a coach, I'll be keeping some pretty good girls together and great news for my daughter, she was a little worried about moving up.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
Thank you for each of your responses, however you are only correct if the cutoff date WAS Dec. 31st, 2014 for this year, but it is not. The City league says that the age cutoff for this year is Dec. 31st, 2015. They also say that they fall under the Babe Ruth organization, however the age calculation for Babe Ruth is like ASA. I have asked the director but she insists that it is Dec. 31st, 2015. My daughter turned 8 just 2 months ago, however under their calculations they signed her up for 10U. When I questioned it, they asked me if I would like to request for her to "Play Down" which I have never heard of. I have heard of "Playing up" but never playing down. Now some of the parents from my team this fall say they are going to try to "play down," rather than move up with my daughter. It's ridiculous!

Has anyone heard of an age determination like this?

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
They are wrong! It is the end of 2014

As Marriad said; For 2015:

2000/2001 = 14U
2002/2003 = 12U
2004/2005 = 10U
2006/2007 = 8U

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
Quincy, I know, I found the age requirements on every league that I could find and none of them had this age requirement. Like I said, I have asked the director more than once and this last time I emailed her and I am almost positive that she just ignored me. I am coaching my daughter and most of the kids wanted to move up with me, but I think they are going to request to Play down.

Does anyone know of any league that uses December 31st of the current year as the age determination?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Quincy, I know, I found the age requirements on every league that I could find and none of them had this age requirement. Like I said, I have asked the director more than once and this last time I emailed her and I am almost positive that she just ignored me. I am coaching my daughter and most of the kids wanted to move up with me, but I think they are going to request to Play down.

Does anyone know of any league that uses December 31st of the current year as the age determination?

Nope. Not one.

Some other sports maybe. Perhaps that is where they are getting confused.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207