Advice for traveling with another player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
This is the first time this situation has arisen for, I am the administrator for our 16U team and one of our coaches is not available for this weekend's showcase / tournaments due to a work commitment. He has asked me to driver her out of state, she will have her own room (conjoined with mine) my daughter will stay in her room with her so she isn't alone.

Has anyone had to do this ? Is there any precautions I should be taking ?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
A body camera to log all interactions comes to mind. JK, I think you have the main part covered. Get a medical release note from the parents stating you can authorize treatment in the event of an emergency.

Mar 1, 2013
Sorry, I don't know if you're male or female, so take this from the standpoint that I'm assuming you are male:

Avoid being alone with her at all times. When my daughters were in girl scouts and I chaperoned trips, there was always an effort to have another adult (preferable a female) with me and I was never alone with girls who were not my daughter. That was not an effort to keep me from suddenly becoming a pedophile rapist (although, it was certainly for their protection) but for my protection as well just in case one of the girls wanted to make an accusation against me. It is, unfortunately, the world in which we live. Just my two cents.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is, unfortunately, the world in which we live.

Just for sake of argument, is this an overblown fear? What are the chances of a false accusation like that if you're a decent human being (ie, not creepy to begin with) using common sense?

Maybe just me, but I'm infinitely more worried about this kid getting injured, sick, lost, or into some trouble, or us having a wreck, or her losing her bat bag under my watch, than I am of the possibility that I'll be falsely accused of something if walk down the hall with her to show her where to fill her cooler with ice.

Jun 7, 2013
Just for sake of argument, is this an overblown fear? What are the chances of a false accusation like that if you're a decent human being (ie, not creepy to begin with) using common sense? .

You may have a point. However, in this world a little paranoia goes a long ways. Just in case, I've taken precautions like this many times. For example, I will not drive one my DD's friends home without having my DD with. In this world, there are and have been witch hunts, false accusations, and just plain misunderstandings. I choose to protect myself against such things, if I am able.

Mar 1, 2013
Just for sake of argument, is this an overblown fear? What are the chances of a false accusation like that if you're a decent human being (ie, not creepy to begin with) using common sense?

Maybe just me, but I'm infinitely more worried about this kid getting injured, sick, lost, or into some trouble, or us having a wreck, or her losing her bat bag under my watch, than I am of the possibility that I'll be falsely accused of something if walk down the hall with her to show her where to fill her cooler with ice.

Really, it's more often than not an overblown fear, but I've personally seen it from both sides - kids taken advantage of by teachers, coaches, neighbors, etc. as well as adults having their lives turned upside down by false accusations. Nothing wrong with protecting yourself, especially if you don't know the kid for the most part. Every. Single. Organization requires some sort of background check in order to work/volunteer/park your car near kids. ASA wouldn't cash my registration check until my background check came back "green". I volunteered with the Special Olympics and needed to fill out background checks for that. Our church's insurance company wants all volunteers who will interact with kids to have clearances done. If there is any chance at all of something coming back to bite me because some kid thought it would be fun to get attention by accusing me of something inappropriate, I want to minimize that risk.

THAT is what I meant about the world in which we live. We are a society where we fill out forms to request permission to help someone. It takes more effort to volunteer my time for an event than to apply for and interview for a job. Organizations need to protect themselves and individuals need to protect themselves.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Be sure to get all the important information for the parts medication she takes or can take, Food allergies, things of that nature. Get the medical release form and contact number to notify if something does happen. Keep her under the same watchful eye you would want some one to do to your daughter had the roles been reversed and Im sure all will be okay.

I Would be sure not to be alone in an awkward situation with her but at the same time I would not over worry because if her parents asked you to i'm sure they have trust in you.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You may have a point. However, in this world a little paranoia goes a long ways. Just in case, I've taken precautions like this many times. For example, I will not drive one my DD's friends home without having my DD with. In this world, there are and have been witch hunts, false accusations, and just plain misunderstandings. I choose to protect myself against such things, if I am able.

And if people feel paranoid about it, I don't blame them for taking precautions. Do what you need for your own peace of mind. I just think the risks are very small, yet it's one of the first things that people warn you about.

Actual instances of abuse are indeed too common and are not to be taken lightly. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the chances of being falsely accused by someone who already thinks you're a decent enough guy that she's fine to come on a trip with you and her daughter. For me, I'm more worried about getting a sunburn than being the subject of a witch hunt.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Really, it's more often than not an overblown fear, but I've personally seen it from both sides - kids taken advantage of by teachers, coaches, neighbors, etc. as well as adults having their lives turned upside down by false accusations. Nothing wrong with protecting yourself, especially if you don't know the kid for the most part. Every. Single. Organization requires some sort of background check in order to work/volunteer/park your car near kids. ASA wouldn't cash my registration check until my background check came back "green". I volunteered with the Special Olympics and needed to fill out background checks for that. Our church's insurance company wants all volunteers who will interact with kids to have clearances done. If there is any chance at all of something coming back to bite me because some kid thought it would be fun to get attention by accusing me of something inappropriate, I want to minimize that risk.

I hear you, although the background checks are a different issue. That's to protect children. Gotta do that. Too many real cases of abuse. What I think is overblown (but not to the point that you ignore all risks) is the chances of being falsely accused. But as I said, everyone has to take precautions for their own peace of mind. I'm probably just less worried about that than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC