Advice for starting a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ This. I knew that many of the parents that I spoke to didn't have the disposable money to put their DD in TB. How did I know? I was carrying many of them, on credit for softball lessons.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Definitely consider what Little Angels has to say. We once had a third baseman get recruited by the opposing third base coach during a game! She refused, but I was surprised how bold some of the machines can be.

Aug 9, 2013
Agreed with the recruiting aspect. If you have a girl looking at your team and looking at other teams, it will be used against you. That guy is a new coach - he doesn't get the travel game. If you get with an organization, lean on the older coaches to learn about the game within the game. I won't ever bad mouth a coach - I will talk about what their daughter can expect on my team and where I see them excelling.

Jun 24, 2013
Check your parents first.
When we held tryouts, we mainly held them for the parents to audition for our team. I can teach the girls. I can't change the parents.
We had one girl who was of average talent, but her parent (who came to our tryouts wearing her rec "COACH" shirt) asked a lot of questions (which was good) but they seemed to be more to gather ammo to be used against us (like she wanted to start her own team, but was unsure of how to do it). We decided not to pick her DD for our team. We ran into her at a tourney 2 months later, her DD had already been on 4 other teams (actually played in tourneys with them). The "COACH" had finally convinced another girls father (who tried out with us and we didn't pick his DD for the same reason) to start their own team.

If you got a good group of parents, you can figure out the rest. Expect to pay more than your fair share of $$. We made the parents pay up front for the tourneys. If we didn't get the money, we didn't schedule it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We have a core of 5 girls (8U) and want to start up a travel/tourny team. Our goal would be to keep these girls together and play year around. Anyone have any good tips or suggestions as to how to get this rolling. Any advice would great.

Thanks

Lots of good advice from others already... I'll add some.

• Start thinking pitching now.
  • Expect to lose players every season. Not just end of bench players either. Reasons are endless - don't want to commit so much time, other sports, better team called, homework, want to make own team, cost and so on
  • Don't burn bridges when players leave. Many will come back if you have a good environment and likely you will see the same parents/families through HS even if they don't
  • Cancer parents and players MUST go. Talented or not, this will destroy your team.
  • Don't take on a player permanently to make your number. Use guest players when needed but wait for the right player to come along for full roster spots
  • Understand what you don't know. Bring in outside coaches in areas you don't understand or aren't good at.College season is running down - there is a lot of players who wont mind some cash for helping coach
  • Play some scrimmages before your first tournament.
  • Coaching travel is best as a benevolent dictator environment - it is not a democracy. Someone has to be the final decision made with advice from AC's. One chief.
  • 8U and even 10U girls are adorable and can fund raise on this alone. A day outside the local supermarket with permission with the girls in uniforms will net you a lot of funds.
  • Good hitting solves a lot of things.
  • Finances should be handled by a non-coach and should be reported to everyone on the team regularly
  • Get help. Take advice. Read this forum a lot. You can stay ahead of the girls knowledge wise for quite some time that way and the people here DO know what they are talking about. Go to coaching clinics
  • Practices organized and busy. And not military drills. Lots of competition on learned skills.
  • Don't scream and yell at 8&9 year olds. This isn't football and you are not Vince Lombardi. Grown adults screaming at young girls look like idiots. You are not 'being tough' on the girls this way. There are better ways.

I could go on for hours.

For tournaments: Two pop up shelters. One BIG cooler with just ice. One bownet. One tee. Two buckets of balls. One set of TCB Balls. A large first aid kit. That is really all you need for the whole team. Everything else is just extra.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
Marriard - great suggestions.

This is my first year as well but I was around travel coaches and ball for a few years, coaching all stars and helping with our older teams as an assistant. I am on the young side of 10U (8 players ASA age 8/9) and it's easy to give the 10's all the playing time, but you have to have a philosophy and stick to it. Don't compromise it. Get the girls playing in spots, in tough games...in blowouts so you can see where they can excel. I can't stress this enough - play the right competition. Stretch the girls from time to time by playing better teams but also look for games that you can win and let the girls experience what it takes to win - how every play counts. My team has played 7 games thus far and sits at 4-2-1. We have played 2 lighter games, 3 equal teams and 2 teams above us talent wise. We have lost and tied the better teams and gone 4-1 against the other 5 with 2 of the wins being in late innings where the girls needed to rally. They are learning what it takes to win.

Oct 10, 2010
I did this 2 years ago..I took a core group of kids I coached for several years in town ball and started a first year 12/U A team. Go for it, it is not that bad. You need a field! priority number 1 in my opinion. Set your goals.....as in why are you doing this. Inform parents of your plans and coaching style. What to expect from them as well as players. It gets harder every year because you become friends with most of these families so the sooner you set your guidelines the better!! My goal was to prepare them for high school and hopefully move our team into a showcase organization down the road. This was accomplished this season. Now as 12's they have the opportunity to move up each year and hopefully in the future play for the 18 showcase team. You will need help. A treasurer, Asst Coaches, but YOU are the final say. Be careful with other peoples $$$. Keep perfect records. Overall it was much easier than I thought. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Pitching - pitching - pitching.

Yeah..... and I suggested that my best two pitchers go to the HS coach's two 16U teams. Both did at my recommendation. One was DD. Now I'm rebuilding around my remaining pitcher "M". Why? To ensure she gets the game-time pitching she needs to help her realize the potential I see in her. Yes, I'm picking up another pitcher, likely a girl who has no pitching coach but who wants to pitch.

Like someone else posted here, I feel more at home with a team that gives players who are less experienced a home to help them develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug