advice for running an effective 10U hitting practice with only 2 coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2013
Hey - i really could use some help here - once a week one of my asst. coaches and I run a hitting/pitching type practice where one of us works with our pitchers and catchers (kinda painful at 10u I must admit) and the other tries to work with the hitters.

we take quite a beating and there is a LOT of down time with girls standing around and chit chatting etc.

We have 3 nets to use - and I could have some doing T work, some bunting etc. but with only the 2 of us really there to watch them i feel like we may be doing more harm than good in a way.

I thought about saying BP from 5:30-6:15 and then pitchers catchers stay... (although everyone wants to be a pitcher so...)

What are some things that the girls can work on mechanically while we are working with the actual "batters" that we are committed to at that point?

our parents just SIT there unless they are BEGGED to come out - and the ones that DO come out really are clueless and have zero feedback for the kids so they are just basically babysitting until it's another girl's turn.

Thoughts? ideas? suggestions? help!

Mav

Jun 24, 2013
At 10U we had a lot of parents at practice, and yes we begged for their help. Mostly I think they were uncomfortable opposed to not willing to help.

We setup stations and asked the parents to focus on 1 thing. I want the batter doing this! We would try to pull it all together with live pitching.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
^^^Yes do like James said, and have enough parents help so that you can be a floater.
Then after stations,
I will have a girl hit front toss/live pitch (about 10 hits each) with a full defensive and 2 runners then rotate.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
2 stations you can run with little or no parent help.

Pepper - 1 girl hits, 3 girls field. rotate on outs or missed swings.

Self toss. 1 girl hits, 3 girls field. Rotate every 10 hits (or 20 swings if they miss a lot)

Aug 9, 2013
You really need the parents help. Most will jump in and help without being asked while others need to be coaxed. I work pitchers and catchers and will ask one to monitor the tee into a bownet while the other will do soft toss into another net. You can have another running a bunt station. Most have played baseball or softball before and understand the fundamentals.

Apr 1, 2010
Lots of stations. Pair girls up making sure that you're not putting close friends together. Make the girls run the stations themselves--they'll learn more. Once from doing the skill and once from running it. As James said, make each one simple, and as RHC said, you float.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Lots of stations. Pair girls up making sure that you're not putting close friends together. Make the girls run the stations themselves--they'll learn more. Once from doing the skill and once from running it. As James said, make each one simple, and as RHC said, you float.

Just from watching, even HS Varsity.... the kids will just go through the motions when left alone running drills. I watch the Varsity kids hit off tees by themselves and most of them swing half-a$$ed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You are right about having pitchers/catchers separate. Hitting is enough in it's self. Spend some time each practice with overhand throw. That is the key to good hitting. Build the swings from the ground up. Relate the feet, to their throwing motion. Have the girls get their bats and spread out down the 1st base line and 3rd base line. Have them take dry swings. Demonstrate and correct them. Then, pre-tend pitch. They should swing properly. Make certain, that they are turning their hips and getting their belly button toward the pitcher. Show them how to hook the bat, behind their back, resting it in their elbows and use their hips to twist toward the pitcher.

You can set up a net or two and do stations and take the rest into the infield. Front toss to each batter. Whiffle balls are ok. Encourage the girls to get moving. 3 swings and take someone's place. Keep the girls moving. You can make this exercise to fit your program. If you want the fielder to throw to first, do that. If you just want hitting. Have the fielder run and out the ball in a bucket.

If you still have standing by one group, add some dynamic stretches, there. Or "run to the fence and back."

Apr 1, 2010
Just from watching, even HS Varsity.... the kids will just go through the motions when left alone running drills. I watch the Varsity kids hit off tees by themselves and most of them swing half-a$$ed.

Yep, that's why the coach has to float.

Jun 11, 2013
If possible keep one coach available for one on one work. If you have 10 kids a few will be fine, some just need reps, but a couple will be just a mess and need serious time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz