Adding 14U players to 12U team for a few months. Right or wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
You may see attrition quickly of the weaker players. Teams do this as a way to "run off" weaker players by lack of playing time. You may quickly see the roster drop down to 13.

Interesting take. But I'm not sure why they would want to run-off 12U players since the 4 pick-up players will go back to their 14U team at the end of May and if some of the 12U players left we would be down to 9 or so players during the most critical time of the season as we are going to USSSA (Utah) & hopefully qualify for PGF nationals.

I do think that the goal is to keep the 14U girls playing within our org. during spring so they don't jump ship as the rest of their team plays HS ball. But I could be wrong...maybe there is an ulterior motive?

May 17, 2012
Numbers, numbers, numbers. How many pitchers and catchers are you going to end up with? More than 3 pitchers is too many.

Hell, just add a couple more girls and split it into 2 teams. Spring at 14u is a great time for kids to develop. If they aren't playing, they aren't getting better.

Based off what you stated, the 12u's are getting robbed. Sounds like the 14u coach is lazy and didn't get his crap together (by merging with another 14u team).

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Interesting take. But I'm not sure why they would want to run-off 12U players since the 4 pick-up players will go back to their 14U team at the end of May and if some of the 12U players left we would be down to 9 or so players during the most critical time of the season as we are going to USSSA (Utah) & hopefully qualify for PGF nationals.

I do think that the goal is to keep the 14U girls playing within our org. during spring so they don't jump ship as the rest of their team plays HS ball. But I could be wrong...maybe there is an ulterior motive?

I think part of the goal is to keep all the girls playing. These 4 14U girls are they coaches DD's? Is your DD going to the bench because of these 4 girls? If not then it's probably for the best interest of the girls. The biggest issue I would have as a parent would be if my DD's playing time was to be affected, as a coach I would be concerned players 13-18 aren't going to play.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Numbers, numbers, numbers. How many pitchers and catchers are you going to end up with? More than 3 pitchers is too many.

I disagree with more than 3 pitchers being to many. In the bigger tournaments where you play 5 games on a sunday you need at least a 4th pitcher. We carry 5, someone has to eat innings when it's hot out.

Feb 7, 2013

Hell, just add a couple more girls and split it into 2 teams. Spring at 14u is a great time for kids to develop. If they aren't playing, they aren't getting better.

Based off what you stated, the 12u's are getting robbed. Sounds like the 14u coach is lazy and didn't get his crap together (by merging with another 14u team).

Some more information. Back in August when teams were formed, we originally were going to have two 14U teams but it turned out that we didn't get enough players for two full teams so they formed 1, 14U team that is large 16 - 17 players. Now that HS ball is starting, 4 players are joining our 12U team. The 14U TB coach is also a HS coach so he won't be coaching travel ball again until May.

Currently the 12U team only has 2 healthy pitchers (the 3rd is injured) and I don't know what positions the 4 "new" players play? I would imagine that if they take away starting positions from the regulars, there could be some upset players and parents.

We play a 3 game 14U friendly this weekend that will shed some light on the situation.

Dec 28, 2011
My DD's team went through this scenario last year (this year they are all in high school). We had 5 remaining eighth graders, and what we did was ask 5 or 6 of the girls from our younger team to merge with us (chosen by what positions we needed). So we played 2 tourneys a month with our fill ins, and I believe these girls remained playing on their team as well (just couldn't play on the same weekends). Then when school ball was over, everyone went back to their original "home". If the 14U coach is still available and willing to coach during this time, maybe he could "invite" just the players needed from your DD team to play up?

oops, just noticed that you posted 14u coach is unable to coach. Any one else to step up?

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I disagree with more than 3 pitchers being to many. In the bigger tournaments where you play 5 games on a sunday you need at least a 4th pitcher. We carry 5, someone has to eat innings when it's hot out.

I don't know of any 14U "A" teams that carry 5 pitchers. Having three girls that are pitchers and two kids that "can pitch" is a different story.

Not sure how you would keep 5 pitchers happy on the same team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So DD's 12U travel ball team has been selected by the organization to add 4, 14U players (8th graders) from the older team that goes "dark" during high school season which lasts from around Feb - May. Now DD's 12U team has 18 players and has to play in 14U friendlies / tournaments. It also means that our 12YO pitchers (DD included) has to pitch from 43 feet for the next 4 months.

Is this normal and what do you guys think?

I will preface my post by first saying that sometimes things happen and the organization needs to react to them, trying to make it work out for everyone involved.

That said, ideally I would have preferred if this arrangement was discussed at or shortly after tryouts. That way the receiving team would be aware of the situation and could be prepared for it. It makes sense for the 8th graders because they are limited until their teammates are done with school ball. It can be a positive to the younger players (if handled properly) because they will get some experience at a higher level with a few 'mentors' on the team to provide leadership and stability (hopefully). But the 18 player roster would be a concern.

As part of a multi-team organization, I also understand the thought process of keeping pick up players in house. Our 18u team has a few players still eligible to play 16u. If we are short due to vacations, we may borrow 1 or 2 of them, or pull up 1 or 2 from our 14u team, depending what teams are playing on each weekend. Likewise, some of our 16u players have eligibility at 14u. We may loan players to the 14u team or the 18u team depending on their needs. My DD has played for the 18u team several times when they needed players. But this sharing only occurs when a team is short and needs players (at least with our org.).

Feb 3, 2011
I'm speaking only from my perspective. My opinions are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily represent the feelings of my daughter's team, head coach, or organization.

This absolutely WOULD NOT work for us. Our 2nd-year 12u team is also pursuing a PGF bid, so the players we have on the roster now are the players we'll be working to develop as a unit between now and the PGF qualifier in May. If a group of 13yo's from a dark team in the org were in need of practice reps, I believe we could find a way to accommodate that. But with a roster of 12, barring a rash of injuries or unforeseen scheduling disaster, we're not going to give game reps to guest players.

If the organization is mandating that you roster them for the next several months, then you do what you have to do, I suppose. If I were the coach of your team, though, my players' development would take priority, meaning the 13yo's would be allowed to practice with us, but they would see minimum playing time in our tournaments.

I don't believe pitching from 43' will hurt your pitchers at all - I've seen 12 and even 11yo's pitch effectively in 14u. But what *will* potentially hurt your team is your full-time players losing significant game reps to temp players.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I don't know of any 14U "A" teams that carry 5 pitchers. Having three girls that are pitchers and two kids that "can pitch" is a different story.

Not sure how you would keep 5 pitchers happy on the same team.

That's why I said the 5th pitcher needs to eat innings lol. Most teams around here only have 1 pitcher and there aren't many real "A" teams. But you do need 4-5 girls that can pitch and allow the defense to make plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz