Academic snobbery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
There is a lot of excellent info in this thread and as has been stated many times - it is all about the fit.
I have a friend whose daughter is the same age as mine. His daughter does not want to play softball in college. She's a very good student and a decent player but not really a college prospect.

The friend makes statements that indirectly put down college softball players and smaller schools of less academic renown. The tone is this - My daughter could play softball if she wanted to (which is presumptuous and a little insulting to all those who are actually working their butts off trying to do it), but she is not going some crappy school to do that (anything that isn't major division I or academically elite is crappy).

Anyone who says something like that has no idea what it takes to play a sport in college. One such crappy school is Tufts University - an excellent college just outside of Boston. Every year they get over 20,000 applications from excellent students that all meet their requirements, but can only accept 1300. They are a DIII school and were the DIII National Champions last year. You have both a rigorous academic environment as well as a highly competitive athletic environment.
More crappy DIII schools in my area (New England) are Wellesley, Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Babson, Smith, M.I.T. (a little tech college in Cambridge), Trinity, Wesleyan, Bates, and there are many more but I only listed these because I thought the names would be more familiar outside our area.

DD#2 has always wanted to play SB in college, ever since she was 8 and watched Taryne Mowatt pitch Arizona to their 2nd WCWS in a row. Now she's a Freshman in HS and we are beginning the college hunt/recruitment process. She and I are starting to think that whether or not she could get recruited by a DI school, DII or (more likely) DIII will be a better option. She is a musician and loves to play in the Band and Orchestra neither of which will be a possibility if she goes DI. There is also the Big fish/Little pond vs. Little fish/Big Pond scenario. many different ways it could play out. Big school v small school- its all about getting the fit right

Edit note: I reread your post- maybe what he was saying was that if his daughter wanted to play ball in college, that would limit her selection to only the crappy schools that would take her.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1