A coaching conundrum, on a serious note

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2014
Finish the season and cut her next year. If your in the school system you can only do as much as your admin. will allow for discipline this year. I know that being a feeder for high school is about #'s and potential but 16 is too many. They have other opportunities to play ball and it will save you the headaches in the future.

Jun 11, 2013
If this isn't a job that you need financially to keep your family fed,etc I would coach it as you see fit. The worst case is that the AD fires you. I would suggest next year do some early season or fall "workouts" and get to know the kids who might be trying out. Find the ones with good attitudes and build a team that you want.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
The result of the sit down with the AD was an assigned "assistant:" a basketball coach with zero knowledge of even baseball, let alone softball. Obviously a watchdog, but I let him help where eh could and tasked him with keeping the girls in line in the dugout.

Last game was today, and afterwards he came up to me and said that he had my back if any repercussions came from the AD or school, that this was the worst behaved bunch he'd seen in 7 years of coaching.

I'm glad it wasn't just me imagining things.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
The result of the sit down with the AD was an assigned "assistant:" a basketball coach with zero knowledge of even baseball, let alone softball. Obviously a watchdog, but I let him help where eh could and tasked him with keeping the girls in line in the dugout.

Last game was today, and afterwards he came up to me and said that he had my back if any repercussions came from the AD or school, that this was the worst behaved bunch he'd seen in 7 years of coaching.

I'm glad it wasn't just me imagining things.

Nothing personal but if this is the worst behaved bunch in 7 years, that's on you.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Nothing personal but if this is the worst behaved bunch in 7 years, that's on you.

I've already accepted some of the blame for not getting a better handle on it, but I won't take it all. They may only be 13, but they know right from wrong and are responsible for their choices.

And I don't mean to imply all of them were this way, really there was one ringleader being nasty, another being the "class clown," and maybe 6 or 7 followers.

Feb 12, 2014

Yeah, because in 90 minutes a day for 4 or 5 days a week over a 2.5 month period, Buckeye Guy should be able to totally reverse 12 years of parental and school system enabling.

What an absurd statement.

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah, because in 90 minutes a day for 4 or 5 days a week over a 2.5 month period, Buckeye Guy should be able to totally reverse 12 years of parental and school system enabling.

What an absurd statement.

The only way it's on the coach is if he has an effective means of discipline and given the way the school system works benching all the trouble makers and cutting a few kids won't be possible if you want to keep the team since you can't just go out and get other kids, so while the coach does have some blame in the end there is only so much you can do, and it sounds like [MENTION=1338]Buckeye[/MENTION] has already acknowledged his share of the responsibility

My DD program (HS JV) is run the same way, no discipline and lots of goofing around, DD wishes more kids would take it seriously, even though she is just there for fun once its time for practice or a game it should be time to change moods and get serious, the coach is an enabler....great guy but just won't stop the silliness.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So, what I have is a girl who I believe is angry with me because she's been benched for missing games, and goes out of her way to contradict me whenever she thinks she can get away with it. I've explained to the team that if I correct someone on a technique or a play, and they turn around and say stuff like "Don't worry, you did it right," they're not only not helping their teammate, their hurting them and the team. Not a huge issue, but constant.[/I]

THIS is a big deal, and could have easily been the reason to cut someone from the team. Blatant disrespect like this is very solid ground. With MS and older, it's very easy for a coach to wake up one day and find the inmates running the asylum.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
So, what I have is a girl who I believe is angry with me because she's been benched for missing games, and goes out of her way to contradict me whenever she thinks she can get away with it. I've explained to the team that if I correct someone on a technique or a play, and they turn around and say stuff like "Don't worry, you did it right," they're not only not helping their teammate, their hurting them and the team. Not a huge issue, but constant.

THIS is a big deal, and could have easily been the reason to cut someone from the team. Blatant disrespect like this is very solid ground. With MS and older, it's very easy for a coach to wake up one day and find the inmates running the asylum.

I believe that this is a direct result of the "participation trophy" upbringing of some kids. They cannot handle criticism at all, and feel that if they're corrected in any way that it is undeserved. Everything they do is "fine" and they are never told they are wrong. And we have a school system that enables.

So yeah, inmates running the asylum, but with help from the administration.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I believe that this is a direct result of the "participation trophy" upbringing of some kids. They cannot handle criticism at all, and feel that if they're corrected in any way that it is undeserved. Everything they do is "fine" and they are never told they are wrong. And we have a school system that enables.

So yeah, inmates running the asylum, but with help from the administration.

Totally agree with this, and have first-hand recent experience. There are many enablers...school systems, parents, and even coaches (that's not a shot at you).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles