9 yr old pitching too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
My 9 yr old DD is playing her first year TB. She had a tournament this weekend in which she pitched a LOT. Yesterday, she threw 3.5 games and probably well over 200 pitches. Probably over 250. Should I be worried? I see threads about pitch counts for HS kids, but what about little kids? She's worked hard to earn the #1 spot but I didn't expect her to throw that much in one day. We did ice her shoulder even tho she says she isn't sore. I also gave her icy/hot and aleve just because I wanted to make sure she was okay.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How many games in a day? Assuming that she threw 3.5 games in two days, probably it isn't a problem--*IF* you give her a couple of days off (including no practice).

What she should do after a game is to do some cool down underhand tosses. I.e., have her play pitch and catch (*NOT* pitching) with her throwing underhanded. If she can't play pitch and catch underhanded, you need to teach her.

The icing is fine. (I'll avoid the debate about whether ice is worth the trouble.)

Do *NOT* give her aleve or any pain medication. Why? If her arm hurts, you want her to tell you it hurts. If her arm hurts, then you know she pitched too much.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that is too many pitches. Geez, why are they riding one 9 yo? Is she also playing another position, when she isn't pitching? All consecutive games? You need to sit down with the coach, now and come up with some limits. Maybe 2 short games on Sunday, if she is doing well. I would be counting her pitches, for sure, from now on. Include her warm ups. Lets say that she is the best 9 yo around. I am guessing 125 pitches would be plenty, in one day. I am not certain about the back to back thing. Maybe someone else will speak up.

Apr 1, 2011
She didn't have any pain. I was just being a paranoid and uninformed parent. I'm going to give her a couple days rest and not throw too much for the rest of the week. Thankfully league games were rained out tonight.
Thanks for the feedback.

Feb 3, 2011
It isn't 1 tournament of riding a player's arm that does the damage, it's the repeated overuse for 150-200 games a year over the next 5 years that does it.

I'm not going to flip out because your coach did it this one time, but 3+ games back-to-back should be a red flag that this coach might be a little too focused on winning, regardless of the player's age.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
5.5 games over three days for a 9yr old (who I assume is playing 10U) is way too much.

3.5 games on a Sunday is also too much. I assume they did the 'best pitcher in elimination game' coaching strategy which probably means they only trust your DD to be able to win the game for them. That has to change or over time she will wear down and get injured.

Apr 1, 2011
I am going to flip out because one time opens the door for more times. And even one time sets patterns for what is allowed in the future and can create form breaks due to fatigue. Using this logic, nothing is said or done about it, and that is the worst of all.

That is like saying other unhealthy activities (smoking, binging on food, drinking too much) are OK 'cause 'I only did it once' or 'I only ALLOWED it once'....

You are right and I'm going to talk to her coach. I just didn't know what to do in the moment. Like I said, this is her first year playing TB and I haven't been around the game too much. She'd been splitting time with another pitcher, but she was really locked in this weekend and he stayed with her. I'd seen college pitchers throw multiple games which are 7 innings. Her games all went 4 innings each due to the 1hr 15min time limit. I am going to start counting pitches like Amy mentioned above.

May 1, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I chart pitches for my DD and know how many she throws throughout the day. When she was 9 200 pitches was about where her legs started to get tired but her arm was fine. We work by the thought that the more you throw the stronger you get. She is now 12 and can handle between 300-400 a day every day of the tournament and has never had any issues. You have to factor in weather, rest between innings, is she being run for when she gets on base besides just how much she throws. Track her pitches and you should be able to tell very easy after a couple days when she starts to reach her max and starts to labor. If she is not having issues and wants the ball that much it is only going to make her better. Just my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321