8u bat what type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The bat MAY be up for debate but saying "its comically to read through a thread talking tournament strategy, calling pitches, etc and then the last line is oh yeah this is 8U!"? You haven't been watching the 8u that I've been watching. There are a lot of really good 2nd or 3rd year 8u Gold players and teams out there. We (and most teams if not all) use time management in every game, give signs to every hitter, and call pitches for girls who throw more than one pitch....and there's a lot of them.

I'm with you, and there are a few others that I know will also agree. I have seen some pretty amazing little 8U players.

Feb 7, 2013
The bat MAY be up for debate but saying "its comically to read through a thread talking tournament strategy, calling pitches, etc and then the last line is oh yeah this is 8U!"? You haven't been watching the 8u that I've been watching. There are a lot of really good 2nd or 3rd year 8u Gold players and teams out there. We (and most teams if not all) use time management in every game, give signs to every hitter, and call pitches for girls who throw more than one pitch....and there's a lot of them.

Agree, but you need to remember that some members are from rec leagues that have coach or machine pitch through 10U, a concept that is so foreign to me...

At 8U, I bought DD an "entry level" composite bat (Easton Synge 30inch, -11.5 drop) and she could definitely hit the ball farther with this bat than the cheap pink/white $30 aluminum bat we got at Dick's sporting goods store. By the way, during rec league and all-stars they always used the Worth RIF safety balls Eric F mentioned. I have always said that if your kid plays a sport year-round, buy them the best equipment you can afford, it's well worth the investment.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agree, but you need to remember that some members are from rec leagues that have coach or machine pitch through 10U, a concept that is so foreign to me...

At 8U, I bought DD an "entry level" composite bat (Easton Synge 30inch, -11.5 drop) and she could definitely hit the ball farther with this bat than the cheap pink/white $30 aluminum bat we got at Dick's sporting goods store. By the way, during rec league and all-stars they always used the Worth RIF safety balls Eric F mentioned. I have always said that if your kid plays a sport year-round, buy them the best equipment you can afford, it's well worth the investment.

My DD swung a 29" Synge for 8U all-stars. I was never sure if the bat was better or her swing was improving. She liked that it stung her hands less than the Easton aluminum bat she started with.

I tend to agree about equipment, but I'm an admitted gear geek.

Dec 4, 2015
I recently bought my daughter a Boombah Tsunami XRT 28/16 and she plays 8u. the bat is a 2pc composite and has a really nice pop on contact the bats on sale for $89 on-line. We have two other girls on the team that have also recently upgraded there bat to this one at different sizes and you can definitely see the difference.

we also have the demarini cf7 and the vendetta and those are also great bats. but if your looking for something that is just as great with out the same price tag this will be it.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If your using a softie type ball in 8U (which many Rec leagues do), I don't think using a composite bat really helps. The soft ball negates the effects of the bat materials. Getting the right size and weight is the key.

Our league uses the softie in Rec ball but a regulation 11" ball for All-Stars. On the All-Star circuit you typically see a lot of the Demarini CF Series Drop -11.

^this is the perfect answer

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
or instead just walk into Walmart and pick out the pretty one...we are talking 8U here, I always think its comically to read through a thread talking tournament strategy, calling pitches, etc and then the last line is oh yeah this is 8U!

If you want a cool Easton try this instead Easton FP15MKY A11327325 Mako Youth Fast Pitch Bat 25/14 - Walmart.com

25" would something you'd more typically use in 5/6 yr old T-Ball. My daughter is on a competitive 8U team and they generally use 28" - 30". I would say the most common drop is -12. The Demarini Uprising is a good choice - aluminum bat with a composite handle, which reduces bat sting. If they are good enough, could also look at the 2nd tier composite bats like the Demarini Vendetta (which is what my daughter uses). I don't know that aluminum vs composite makes a lot of difference yet at this age, but for the more competitive players it may. If you are using softies, then definitely stick with aluminum. Our league uses standard 11" balls, machine pitch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma