43 vs 40 feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
after all the rain and snow, school ball tryouts finally got to complete but the games are delayed.
DD made her middle school team but dreads the 3' pitching distance difference.
she's been practicing at 43' for TB, but school ball is at 40.

any suggestions on how to make quick adjustments? i don't want her to start practicing at 40'

Nov 7, 2014
all high schools and that means middle school requires 43 feet rubber. they should move it back just not saying they will.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am assuming she is taking a break from TB games while MS is in season.

Most players don’t have an Issue jumping back up to 40’. If she doesn’t just stay back at 43’ when you practice., if she is a little “off” just move back to 40 for 6 weeks. It will not hurt anything.

This year DD had this Issue and we just moved back to 40, no harm no foul.

Oct 9, 2013
Fastpitch Cat,

I agree with the previous posters. DD trained at 43 in her last year of 12u because I wanted her to guest some at 14u. We would do the bulk of our work at 43 and then move to 40 at the end and she loved it because she thought it was easier from the shorter distance. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2013
all high schools and that means middle school requires 43 feet rubber. they should move it back just not saying they will.
This is not true at all! In Ohio, this is the same as FastPitchCat's state.
OHSAA Rules said:
1.8) The high school pitching distance shall be 43 feet. For middle school, the required distance shall be 40 feet.
Honestly FastPitchCat, your DD shouldn't have much of a problem at all. I told my DD just remember 3 Feet closer means your balls will rocket past those batters. My DD just had to work on releasing her Change Up's a bit sooner so they wont be a Fatty over the plate!

Nov 7, 2014
This is not true at all! In Ohio, this is the same as FastPitchCat's state.

Honestly FastPitchCat, your DD shouldn't have much of a problem at all. I told my DD just remember 3 Feet closer means your balls will rocket past those batters. My DD just had to work on releasing her Change Up's a bit sooner so they wont be a Fatty over the plate!

oh wow I would not want my middle school kids pitching at 40 feet.And I am glad north carolina requires 43 ... any state not requiring 43 will the first time a child gets hit in the facemask... You have 15 year olds in middle school ball swinging composite bats ...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you have 15YOs playing your MS is setup different then ours. Ours goes thru 8th grade, I think the vast majority are 13YOs. Most coming from 12U for the older players.

Nov 7, 2014
mine is through 8th but what happens when 4 graders fail a year or 2

my daughters team in middle school last year had 5 15 year olds on it

and we played against quite a few of them.

if they turn 15 after the beginning of the school year they are legal for middle school ball :(

Jul 17, 2012
PA is also 43 feet. My daughter didn't skip a beat moving from 40 to 43. FPC... Try taking the mental part out of play. You can likely prove to her that the difference is 99% mental by having her throw from 40, while she thinks she's throwing from 43. I'll bet you don't hear a peep.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom