3rd out appeal. How to scrore

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Please let me know the ruling on this just so I know if it ever happens. This is not something that actually happened but something I dreamed up.

Situation:
1 out
R1 on 3rd
R2 on 1st

Scenario:
Batter hits fly ball to right field. R1 leaves base before ball is caught and runs through and touches home plate.
R2 leaves the base before ball is caught and continues on to 2nd base. Ball is caught by right fielder and is thrown to 1st base to get the 3rd out on the live ball appeal of R2 not tagging. R1 has already crossed home plate before the appeal.

Now if you do not appeal that R1 left early does this run still count? Do you have to appeal that R1 left early for the run not to count?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
In this case, the defense is allowed a "fourth out appeal" on the runner who has scored, but has committed a baserunning violation. The defense must properly appeal that the runner left early. If properly appealed and, in the judgement of the umpire, the runner left the base too soon, the run is nullified on the "fourth out". If not properly appealed, the run counts.

A runner leaving a base early/missing a base are all handled on appeal. If properly appealed, the umpire should honor them. If not appealed, play on as if no violation occurred.

Realistically, though, I imagine most teams would be concentrating on the appeal of R1 for out 3 rather than the appeal on R2 for out 3 and then going back for a 4th out appeal on R1.

Thanks eddieq. That is what I thought, but I could see an inexperienced coach and team not properly appealing R1. When is it too late to do a dead ball appeal on R1? I'm assuming when the ball is put in play during the next half inning.

Oct 24, 2010
Please let me know the ruling on this just so I know if it ever happens. This is not something that actually happened but something I dreamed up.

Situation:
2 outs
R1 on 3rd
R2 on 1st

Scenario:
Batter hits fly ball to right field. R1 leaves base before ball is caught and runs through and touches home plate.
R2 leaves the base before ball is caught and continues on to 2nd base. Ball is caught by right fielder and is thrown to 1st base to get the 3rd out on the live ball appeal of R2 not tagging. R1 has already crossed home plate before the appeal.

Now if you do not appeal that R1 left early does this run still count? Do you have to appeal that R1 left early for the run not to count?

Thanks

Three outs on BR's caught fly ball. No runs score.

Mar 1, 2013
Thanks eddieq. That is what I thought, but I could see an inexperienced coach and team not properly appealing R1. When is it too late to do a dead ball appeal on R1? I'm assuming when the ball is put in play during the next half inning.

It amounts to that they have to appeal immediately/before the defense leaves the field. If you guys come off the field and then the coach walks back out to ask the umpire about that runner leaving early, it's too late. If it's a case where that may be the winning run at the end of a game, it's before the umpire's leave the field. A good ump will allow time for appeals, but not dawdle waiting for it to sink in to the defense that they have an appeal to make.

Jun 22, 2008
Depending on rules set, ASA requires dead ball appeals to be made by an infielder. FED allows appeals to be made by the coach.

Mar 13, 2010
At the end of an inning, before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory on their way to the bench or dugout area.
eddieq covered the timing of an end of game appeal in his reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog