3 videos of Makenzie pitching under the porch during the rain, one in slo-motion,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
Thanks, That's what I asked a couple of weeks ago, she's is leaning forward at release, but is throwing strikes, and for around here her velocity is above average for around here South Arkansas, 41-43. I don't want to change her now that we are about to play in pre-state tournament this coming Saturday, June 1st. Off season we will definitely work on more mechanics. She has a decent change up, and doesn't slow her arm down when she throws the change, so that's a positive in it's self right there. When she tries to stay back at release, her timing is off I guess, and the ball tends to sail high on her more than usual. What is average velocity for a girl her age with accuracy from your part of the country.

Try not to be a "speed freak". She can only throw as hard as her mechanics will allow right now.... it'll come. As far as the ball sailing when she stays back it is simply release point....see Bill Hillhouse "the pitches" video. Currently it sounds as though your dd is doing fine and is succeeding within her age bracket and may get by for a few more years but IMO she will plateau and or will not gain anymore speed if she doesn't make that adjustment. My dd was much the same. In the end...it all takes time. Keep plugging away and don't get too caught up in the speed thing. With the correct mechanics speed is inevitable and she will reach her potential much quicker. First things first tho....LEG DRIVE. All just MHO!

Jul 26, 2010
When someone says "needs more lean", what they really mean is that the hips need to be forward the balls of the feet before the push off happens. When you tell a kid "more lean", they bend at the waist, stick their butt out over their heels, and accomplish absolutely nothing besides getting a sore back.

Teach them to fall forward and catch themselves with their stride leg. 75% of the energy needed for a proper strong stride is accomplished through gravity alone. After this is learned, teach a standing long jump. This will show the pitcher how to properly use body mechanics and leg strength to gain more momentum and power.

The point of the stride is twofold:

One, it is to get as close to the batter as possible. This means the pitch is in the air less time and the batter has less time to react. This however is a product of pitcher height and flexibility. Mechanics cannot be compromised to create an artificially long stride nor rules violated to use a crowhop or replant to get closer to the batter.

The second and more important purpose is to establish as much forward momentum as quickly as possible and then stop that momentum as quickly as possible in order to transfer it into the arm circle. Fast stride, fast stop. Stepping long accomplishes nothing here other then purpose 1 above. Speed is everything when it comes to the stride. From here the pitch is a matter of timing and sequence (just like hitting).

-W

Feb 28, 2013
Sorry it wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about my DD, shes a 7 YO 1st grader. I was talking about other pitchers on her team.
That's ok, I was really just messing with you. My four year old DD is already "learning to pitch", via the Worth Club K Power Line. She watched Kemph or whatever her name is go through the bottom half of the pitching motion, and get on that mat all the time without a ball and strides out and lands at 45 degrees just about every time. She'll end up better than Makenzie probably because she LOVES it and wants to do it on her own, without me telling her, lets go outside and pitch/hit. I'll be working with my older DD and Adalyn will say get my bat, tee, and balls and let me go hit. She'll hit a couple of buckets and be done.

Feb 28, 2013
Try not to be a "speed freak".

I see where it seems that is all I'm trying to achieve. I was just wondering? I have the High Schools 700-800 dollar Jugs Gun, and I gun her to see if she is staying consistent with her fastball and change up, Lets me know if she is slowing her arm down, and when what mechanics she does have, when she does them half way right her ball stays consistent. I don't gun her every time out. For some reason it makes her throw more strikes when I gun her because I only tell her how fast when it is a strike. I appreciate your advice and imput