2 strike slapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2009
virginia
If you foul off a slap with 2 strikes is it an out? Is it umpires judgement as to whether it was a swing
or bunt attempt? My girls are just starting slapping and I want to make sure. I can't find anywhere in
NSA rules addressing this.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Batters are free to switch to the other side of the plate anytime during their at-bat. There isn't any rule that says they can't switch with two strikes or can't switch multiple times.

What they can't do is step across the plate to the opposite batter's box once the pitcher is in position to deliver a pitch. If a batter does that, she is out. If she wants to switch sides, she needs to either do it before the pitcher is in position to pitch or ask for time and wait until it is granted.

Dec 28, 2008
2 strikes: I've seldom ever seen a slapper called out for a foul ball after 2 strikes. Even those that deserved to be called out because they were just trying to drag bunt. I'm guessing it is the same dynamics for the umpire as calling a girl out for leaving early who does the rocker step. With all of the body motion going on, and the fact that they are glued on seeing the strike zone it's just too hard for them to distinguish how much motion the girls arms were in at/after the contact point.

Moving back to rightie: Hitting a ball moving at the speeds it does, with the movement it has, with a round bat is hard enough. Adding in the movement just makes it tougher so those players need all of the consistency and confidence they can get. So I never suggest that for 2 reasons even though it is legal. Primarily the girl will have to see the ball from the other side of the plate which is difficult to do, and more often than not they end up striking out. Secondly I don't like the mental message it sends "You aren't good enough to slap with 2 strikes."

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
When we get 2 strikes on my hitters we go into what we call attack mode. That is almost always a slap mode to a slapper to make contact so you do not strike out. I have found it easier to make contact in this mode with slappers. Example we might swing away or bunt till we get two strikes, but almost always try to slap on 2 strikes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz