2 or 3 fingers on the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2010
What age did your kids switch to 2 fingers on the grip? Was it a hard transition and how much speed did they pick up if any?

My dd is 13 and has big hands..I'm wondering if I should have her start trying it with 2 fingers on the grip now.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Less is more. I would encourage her to try throwing with 2 and see how it goes. However, I think it is unreasonable to expect an immediate increase in speed but it will come over time. I have no tangible data but I would guess that the majority of HS age pitchers throw with 3 fingers. Not many girls ever have the hand size to throw with 2 fingers. If they can they are blessed and should use the gift.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I believe that some girls can't and shouldn't move to a 2-finger grip. But, if she has long fingers, try it. Two of my three pitching students use the 2-finger for dropball-fastball. One of the two has VERY long fingers, and it really gives her the advantage

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Four fingers, push ball into palm, don't load the wrist. Sometimes a great way to throw an off-speed pitch is by doing all the "wrong" things. I teach a change up that no matter how hard they try they cannot throw it fast.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If her hands are big enough...then absolutely, yes throw with two! She can add a couple fingers to drop a few mphs, just to keep batters off balance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole