2-3-14 working on better posture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Softballs
Lots of good things in this young ladies pitching.
I am going to identify a few things to look at relative to your posture question. The video is pretty difficult to analyze because of the lighting and we can't see her feet. Also, if you are looking for posture help, a front view would probably work better.
You can note that at 11 seconds her upper torso disconnects slightly from the lower torso and goes into a lean toward third base (she sticks her butt out)....this move restricts her ability to get hip rotation; note that at 12 seconds (release point) she has minimal hip rotation. The combination of the upper torso lean and minimum hip rotation make it difficult for her to get "brush interference" with the forearm and thigh. Note her hip rotation at 13--14 seconds....this is closer to where she should be at time of release.
It is simple to say that just eliminating the disconnect will improve things but it is not easy to do; this is probably a well ingrained movement for her already so you will have to do some very deliberative corrective drills.

Awesome, this is what i'm looking for. I think she bends her torso toward 3rd base because of her excessive glove swim, I think it is a counter balance to the glove arm being so far out. I* also think that the minimal hip rotation is due to her heavy drag foot ( which she drags the inside of her foot very hard) ( digs trenches in the dirt).

If I am correct, and these issues are the main cause of her her poor posture, then what specifically can she do to attempt to correct them.

What specific drills and/or adjustments can she make to try and improve.

And you are spot on Rick, the bend at the waist toward 3rd base has been an issue for her forever, it has gotten much better, but I know that it is something to work on.

Thank You

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Compared to November, she’s made good progress. Like Rick suggested, better video would be very helpful.

Below is my take. I have to say, as I read through JS’s Drive thread, I’m finding new ways to look at things. As time passes and I start to internalize it, I’d bet some of my thoughts below could change. Hoping he’ll have time to post his take.

If I had to pick glove swim causing poor posture vs something else resulting in glove swim, I’d go with the latter. I believe the glove arm does what it needs to do to balance out the body.

One suggestion is to work on using the glove arm to actively contribute to the drive and release vs letting it act in response to the rest of the body. I like to see kids drive out hard to the target with the backs of both hands. The glove pauses, then pulls down with release. Up together, down together. One way to get some of the feel of this is to do some high skips—with and without the using the arms. Get them to feel how they can get a little more air by swinging the arms up.

For posture, I like the cues of driving out strong and square to the target with the backs of both hands and the stride toe, as well as a focus of keeping the pivot knee/shoe laces pointed at the target. A result of the stride leg driving out and the ball arm coming over the head is the body opening up, as well as the pivot knee/shoe laces turning out. I only mention the last part as an FYI because the cue for me is “drive forward” but allow the body to open up.

The other cue I use is to think “get tall” and “slight rearward lean” at same time the arms and stride toe are driving out. Sometimes it helps to do Step Backs, where they land on the stride foot with an emphasis on good posture, but lifting pivot foot up and falling back slightly with a rearward fallback step. Start this with just an easy step, (without a strong drive,) then work up to walk-throughs before trying regular drives.

One of the most important tools is immediate feedback. Not only what you say, but more importantly: asking them how it felt, what they did, what they can do better. Foster self-learning so they can own the form, feel it and be in charge of their development

Hope that helps,
Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg
The first shot shows driving hard with the backs of the hands/stride toe, along with a slight rearward lean. Notice how in the second shot, the body has opened up and the pivot knee/shoe laces have turned? Again, I don't teach that part, but note that it does happen.

Capture3.jpg
Backs of the hands pulling down together.

Capture4.jpgCapture5.jpg
Rearward lean, tall, and again, pulling down with the backs of the hands.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028