1st Basemen Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
IMHO, on a snap throw to first after the pitch unless your 1B is really athletic and moving on the pitch it is almost impossible to get back and straddle 1B and look to receive the throw unless your catcher doesn't have an arm; which then she probably shouldn't be throwing down anyway. The sweep tag method is more a pick off move to keep the runner from getting that huge lead on release. If she gets too far off the bag the catcher runs at her and makes her choose.

The straddle the bag option I'd imagine is more used in baseball when 1B plays behind the runner and can move up to the bag.

Jan 24, 2011
Simple answer.

First base shouldn't be taking the pick off. Second base should be there.

Most likely the 2B wouldnt be there because we wouldnt be in bunt defense. Like I have said before , game situation dictates whether or not we allow the catcher to attempt this play. Runner and batter abilities are taken into account

Jan 24, 2011
I posted this question on a few different forums and the definite conclusion is that there is no consensus opinion on this topic. So , the final result will be that my DD will do it which ever way that the coach prefers. May end up being one way for middle school and then another for TB.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I also prefer the "back to the runner" tag for two reasons. One, 1st is facing the throw in a good athletic position verses having her side to the throw and reaching across her body to catch it with the posibility of her back to the throw. Much easier for the ball to wind up in RF if the throw is a little off.
Two, if the runner does go to 2nd, she will be doing so from a standing start, plenty of time for 1st to step toward the foul line with her right foot, which she should be doing as she makes the tag, and make a good throw to 2nd.

Remember, this is a 'pick off' play to try to keep the runner from getting too big of a lead. If she is far enough off to get to second on the throw, catcher has to run towards her to make her commit before throwing.

There's lots of good arguements for both styles, so just have her do it the way the coach wants and see how it goes.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I never think it's correct to turn your back to the baserunner when making the play.
I understand what you're saying, but applying the tag when facing the opposite direction seems like tags made would be more by luck than by skill.
either way you are reaching across your body, whether it is to make the catch or tag the runner. I think the 1b (RH) gets the ball in their glove and starts making the tag sooner when stepping toward the ball with their L foot.
Obviously there are plenty of coaches who disagree.

Feb 24, 2010
I have a completely different take on this - it depends on where the throw is. If you have 1B use Amy's method of back to the line (i.e. heels on the line), what happens if the throw is in foul territory? They have a really hard time twisting to catch the ball, let alone try to make a tag. Also use the opposite argument on back to the field as in the youtube video - if the throw is NOT on the line, more towards the 2b side of the 1B, also needs to awkwardly twist to catch and make a play.

I teach the girls to get in a ready position, and to always expect a bad throw and adjust as needed to not only catch the ball, but to make a throw if needed. So for this play, 1B would be facing the plate/catcher (there was a pitch just thrown btw) and if a pickoff play is called, stay in the plate-facing position and move to the ball naturally to make the catch and tag. If the throw is down the line or in foul territory, catch the ball and tag with back to infield; if throw in field of play towards 2B side, turn with back to foul territory to catch and make the tag. Also note that no mention of the 1B "handedness" is required - it depends on where the throw is on how 1B makes the play.

Kind of like how we teach players to throw to the cut-off - towards the glove side - so the catch and turn to throw is quicker. But that doesn't mean that EVERY cut-off player has to rotate towards glove side to make a quick throw, especially when they have to go across their bodies with the glove to catch on a "bad" throw. On a "bad" throw (not to glove side) it is much quicker for them to catch it on their non-glove side and turn to their throw side, even though this looks (and can feel) awkward, but it is quicker. It does take some practice, as well as the 1B pick-off play I described above, but that is what practices are for, and that is what we do in the winter indoors.

I also want the girls to learn that they should think on their feet, and that there is always more than one way to make a play. So often when we tell them the "correct" way of doing things, they will only do it that way and not adjust as needed, since "you taught us to ONLY do it this way".

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
If you turn your back on a good runner they will take second every time. The bad thing about it is it will only take one throw to show them your hand. You turn to the field and do the best you can. Pickoff plays at first are very low percentage and the purpose is really to show them you will throw. The objective is to shorten the lead off.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
They won't try to take 2nd unless they are too far off to get back. When the catcher comes up throwing, does your runner have time to look at the 1st baseman, determine how she is going to position herself to catch the throw, and then get to 2nd before 1st can throw her out? And as for 1st not being able to see the runner take off for 2nd, that sounds good talking about it, but in a game, she knows. Everybody at the game will be yelling "she's going". If 1st doesn't know to throw to second, her body positioning is not the cause. 1st basemans back is to the runner on every pitch. On a pick off play they have to get back to the bag while watching the catcher for the throw. How they recieve the throw at the bag has nothing to do with whether the runner can steal second on a pick off attempt.

Jan 31, 2011
I like the blind tag for RH first basemen. Always turn glove side, its more natural. We're 12U and we have just changed our great 1st baseman to apply this type of tag. I can't wait for this weekend to give her the chance to try it out. She is very eager to give it a shot & our catcher is primed to keep firing it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877