1st base mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2015
Any recommendations??? DD player 1st/3rd and tried out her cousins 1st base mitt and wants to get one. I don't want a super heavy glove. She just turned 12, 5'6" about 140ish?? So can handle a 12.5/13". Looking for decent glove in 100-200 price range. worth liberty, xeno pro, akadema etc.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At 12U and 14U a lot of girls used a special 1B mitt, while it seems at 16U and 18U most of the girls are using regular gloves. My DD has a Vinci BV1929-L and loves it. She uses it to pitch and play 1B.

The Xeno Pro is a very good product at a very reasonable price. The girls on my team who chose one are very, very happy with them and I have been happy with their performance and their durability. The leather has stayed very nice and stiff on the ones we've had well over a year. And these gloves and mitts GET USED.

Feb 12, 2014
My DD has used the Mizuno MVP Prime 1B mitt. Good glove that comes in lots of color combos, which my daughter likes. Certainly not a "forever" glove, but I think she'll get about 15 months out of one which includes a travel ball season, a fall ball season, and a school ball season.

Nov 23, 2014
I came on here and was just going to post the same question, and I saw this thread. My daughter is about the same size. She's a catcher/1B. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
At 12U and 14U a lot of girls used a special 1B mitt, while it seems at 16U and 18U most of the girls are using regular gloves. My DD has a Vinci BV1929-L and loves it. She uses it to pitch and play 1B.

I have noticed the same thing at high school ball locally. DD plays P/1B/3B. At the lower ranks she wanted to use a first baseman's mitt, but has since chosen to stick with one glove no matter what position she is playing. She claims that she is more comfortable using one glove instead of switching every time she moves around. She is currently one of only two starters on varsity without an error this year, so I guess i shouldn't argue about it.

You will see it more (not using a 1B mitt) due to the fact that a lot of girls don't necessarily play their normal position in high school ball. No need to buy a mitt when one of your other gloves will suffice for a couple of months.

Almost all of our 16 Gold and 18 Gold 1Bs use mitts. Most of our 14Us do, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877