15 year old part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 5, 2014
Interesting to see how different the greats of that era swings look from the greats of this era. Any thoughts on why? Lower strike zones? More downward movement on pitches? Natural evolution on the thoughts on what makes a great swing?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Rdbass
You, Redhot, and FFS are puppets from Teacherman and Hi.

Straightleg

All the talk of Teacherman here and in the "Who's the best" thread got me pretty curious about HI. I joined the site and find it fascinating and educational. If FFS is a shill for teacherman, then they are working a very sophisticated ruse. lol.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Rdbass
You, Redhot, and FFS are puppets from Teacherman and Hi.
Can't speak for any one else I'm just a puppet.
images

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
How about this:
Shift and by-pass. In terms of an "Elvis move".
or
Shift and hitch. Again, in terms of an Elvis move.

I love using the "elvis" as done by straightleg, it is a great matrix drill for teaching separation.

I also use a version of stretch and fire, although instead of standing at a 45 degree angle, I just have them stand open, and then pull back.

Its always good to try all the things these posters talk about, then form your own truths.

Jan 13, 2012
Interesting to see how different the greats of that era swings look from the greats of this era. Any thoughts on why? Lower strike zones? More downward movement on pitches? Natural evolution on the thoughts on what makes a great swing?

Don't have a lot of time, but this is something I love to talk about. To answer your question... the mound is actually lower than it used to be. It was 15 inches from 1903 to 1968. From 1969 onwards, it's been 10 inches. I don't believe the ball is breaking more than it used to.

The strike zone, however, is significantly lower than it used to be. The belt is the top of the zone, whereas it used to be the armpits. I think the main reason, however, is that guys get paid big bucks to loft the ball, even if it means more strikeouts. All the hitters shown in that film, with the exception of Harmon Killebrew, were slugger-hitters. Most of them (with the possible exception of Bobby Mercer) would hit around .300 on a regular basis. The emphasis was on line drives, and if home runs happened, they happened.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Don't have a lot of time, but this is something I love to talk about. To answer your question... the mound is actually lower than it used to be. It was 15 inches from 1903 to 1968. From 1969 onwards, it's been 10 inches. I don't believe the ball is breaking more than it used to.

The strike zone, however, is significantly lower than it used to be. The belt is the top of the zone, whereas it used to be the armpits. I think the main reason, however, is that guys get paid big bucks to loft the ball, even if it means more strikeouts. All the hitters shown in that film, with the exception of Harmon Killebrew, were slugger-hitters. Most of them (with the possible exception of Bobby Mercer) would hit around .300 on a regular basis. The emphasis was on line drives, and if home runs happened, they happened.

P. do you have any hard facts on pitching speeds or movement? I was watching e60 last night about perfect games. They had some old video, like Don Larson's no wind up pitching. Those vids, the vids of Ted, Babe, and etc, I just can never help but to think those pitches look like they are topping out in 70s...maybe 80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom