14 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2012
My daughter does something I see in your video.

Her front foot opens too much with toes pointing at the pitcher. It opens the hips too much and results in teh front shoulder 'leaking' or 'opening' to much. This results in pop ups and hitting the ball of the end of the bat.

Jul 4, 2012
Harley, the experts will arrive. I don't see her core involved in powering the swing. Search the SNF drill. And be patient as the holiday Will slow down responses.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter does something I see in your video.

Her front foot opens too much with toes pointing at the pitcher. It opens the hips too much and results in teh front shoulder 'leaking' or 'opening' to much. This results in pop ups and hitting the ball of the end of the bat.

Fair point, IMO, but instead of saying ''don't do that,'' my advice would be that ''if you do that, make sure you don't leak, or don't open the shoulder too soon.''

I think Jose Buatista shows below that it can work if done correctly. It takes practice and probably some additional athleticism, but there are schools of thought out there (although I haven't seen many of their alumni here) that say a more open foot opens the potential for better, fuller rotation and more power.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Z4QFKU.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What 'jumps' out at me in your DD swing is level to the ball/ground. Take note of the bent front leg:
Z4QFKU.gif

Front leg should be 'firming up' as your DD starts her swing.
Also look at the hands on this swing:
acpYSu.gif

See how your DD's hands drop down to her waist and ball. I would like to see the barrel going to the ball not the hands.
ExcellentHands.gif
OrtizHands1.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think CB and RDB both make valid points.

To CB's point, there has been much discussion about what controls the lower half (quite frankly, I am still trying to figure out the debate myself). Is the rear leg in charge, forcing the front leg to serve in a secondary role? Are both legs working together in coordination with each other? In any event, what I see in this gif is a front side that is working independently from the rear side instead of either of the other two viewpoints.

To RDB's point, I definitely can see the hands dropping. If I had some gif skills (which I don't), I would place a dot on her hands so that you can see the path they travel.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Good. Two things I was planning on working on with her. Her bent front knee and dropping her hands early like mentioned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors