13yo DD Swing - Opinons Wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2012
Hello All,

DD has made some great progress but there is a lot more there to be made. Been a fun journey so far!!

Please share you thoughts - thanks!!

[video=youtube_share;InySGtq13I4]http://youtu.be/InySGtq13I4[/video]

Mar 1, 2012
Oops - should work now

[video=youtube_share;InySGtq13I4]http://youtu.be/InySGtq13I4[/video]

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
IACoach, welcome and thanks for posting! Here's what I see:

1. She gets a pretty good coil, but she's swinging "around" her body, rather than "out" from her body. What starts as a pretty good coil/load gets lost when she moves forward. Ideally, she should hold that coiled hip (maintain the tension created by the coil) until after she gets to toe touch, and then spend that energy as she uloads/uncoils it by resisting with her shoulders before launching her swing.
2. Her back foot never gets unweighted, which means she doesn't get her energy moving "out" from her coiled load and release. She spins on her back foot because she is swinging around.

Two drills I would recommend to work on this (because I think it's the most important thing she could do) are the walkthrough/Happy Gilmore drill and the Stretch and Fire drill.

Happy Gilmore/Walkthrough:
WtBSxUPcl__nqCw6xr6WocgLdkI3JdQrnwWUA7KPrzy3MkIaW1YohUGuoGgqGrOAB7E-FuWCTwQ

Stretch & Fire:
2uKoWPbOSrpqFo5-R_Mq3YVCqP-44ieBWU49fbVatDDWHHWHY66ODpQ1xf10npPYaN9sE4Hco2I

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I see a lot of potential here.

Touch up the sequence.

Consider what some refer to as "walk away from the hands" ... basically having the rear hip gain ground as the top hand loads "up and in". This action takes place as we are "reading the pitch". Some examples follow.

30a9ap3.gif

35k63vk.gif

30ksw0j.gif

arvhh.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors