13 year old Looking for advice on swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
I think the reason he is still alive( and why I hate side toss ) is that although she is making contact on the end of the bat and on the outside edge of the plate he is throwing the ball to her in front of the plate she's swinging early simulating hitting an outside pitch out in front which is nearly impossible to drive back at the coach (has nothing to do with trust). If he threw the ball to the middle of the plate he would be eating most of these balls. What's maddening to me is that he's sitting there with a pitching screen in the video he could be using and doing front toss instead of side toss. Different strokes for different folks, but I only like to use side toss out of necessity usually where there are space constraints. IMO side toss is so backwards, you have to wait longer to let a pitch get inside and swing quicker to hit an outside pitch. How does that help train them to let an outside pitch get deeper into the plate so they can put the meat of the bat on the ball and drive to the opposite field.

Oct 12, 2009
I think the reason he is still alive( and why I hate side toss ) is that although she is making contact on the end of the bat and on the outside edge of the plate he is throwing the ball to her in front of the plate she's swinging early simulating hitting an outside pitch out in front which is nearly impossible to drive back at the coach (has nothing to do with trust). If he threw the ball to the middle of the plate he would be eating most of these balls.

The fact that he's still alive says there's a problem either with her swing, her approach, or the instruction she's being given.

What she's basically doing is trying to pull an outside pitch and is rolling over it as a result.

Given that those are outside pitches, she should be driving them right about where his head is.

The fact that she doesn't because she can't (due to his being in front of the L screen and not behind it), is a real problem.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
The fact that he's still alive says there's a problem either with her swing, her approach, or the instruction she's being given.

What she's basically doing is trying to pull an outside pitch and is rolling over it as a result.

Given that those are outside pitches, she should be driving them right about where his head is.

The fact that she doesn't because she can't (due to his being in front of the L screen and not behind it), is a real problem.

After the initial 2 swings, she only got around 1 the rest of the round. And it still hit the L screen.

Oct 1, 2009

Chris if she rolled over the ball shouldnt it hit the ground ?????????????????

Oct 12, 2009
Chris if she rolled over the ball shouldnt it hit the ground ?????????????????

It does on about 1/3 of the swings.

For example, look at the first full swing after the zoom in. That's a classic roll-over result. She hits it fairly hard, but probably not hard enough.

I think part of the problem is that she seems to have been told to push the outside pitch (he seems to encourage her when she does) but she's scared to death that she's going to hit the tosser in the face if she does what he wants her to do. As a result, she pulls the ball more than she should and rolls over it more.

All of this strikes me as an ill-conceived drill.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think she is swinging decent with the angled side toss. If I were to guess I would say there is a chance that this swing will become quite army (with arms leading the way) and a little long based on the somewhat restricted hip and knee turn. Simply have to see if this holds up from 40 feet in a game situation at 50 - 60mph. Arms may lead the way. Can't do much tweeking until you see what is really happening.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think she is swinging decent with the angled side toss. If I were to guess I would say there is a chance that this swing will become quite army (with arms leading the way) and a little long based on the somewhat restricted hip and knee turn. Simply have to see if this holds up from 40 feet in a game situation at 50 - 60mph. Arms may lead the way. Can't do much tweeking until you see what is really happening.

Interesting observation.

I keep looking for her trigger ... don't see it. Virtually no lower body load. Front foot stays flat on the ground. Upper body load leads and I wonder if she'd uni-load in the box. Don't see much in terms of separation. To me this resembles a gated swing and I question if it will work well against good pitching. I'm in the minority here.

Any game swings?

Last edited:
R

RayR

Furthering my last comments - she is not letting the ball get deep enough. Her arms are almost fully extended. This is good news for the tosser. Bad news for her.

Also, I would say that she is borderline bat dragging. The hands are taking an "L" path to the ball instead of being more direct.

Oct 1, 2009
i will be posting game footage as soon as avaible. Thanks all for the constructive comments I will share them with her coach.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan