13 year old Looking for advice on swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Had problems with your link. Here is the video...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TtNuBYhIyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TtNuBYhIyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Oct 1, 2009
Cshilt:

Thanks for reposting the video, dont know why it didnt work the first time? How can i get any suggestions/comments on the swing.

DaddyO:
yes the coach is brave but he really trusts his girls......

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Cshilt:

Thanks for reposting the video, dont know why it didnt work the first time? How can i get any suggestions/comments on the swing.

DaddyO:
yes the coach is brave but he really trusts his girls......

The guy on the bucket is brave. One opposite field hit and he has one in the chest or jaw.

Looks like she is cutting her follow through short. Hard to tell from the back. Maybe some video from the side
Try some reverse hand swings and see how that swing looks.
There is a post on her with my daughter doing them.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
I like the swing. Perhaps a little more bend in the waist to help cover the plate and lowering of the hands slightly?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Is it possible to review and comment on this video here ?

YouTube - Fastpitch hitting lesson Zoned NJ.MP4

The hitting instructor has complete control of where the ball is being thrown - but if this hitter really made an adjustment and got inside the ball, he might be in trouble!!

BigBlue, do you know what the instructor told her after the 3rd swing and what the arm movement he made was supposed to demonstrate?

Also, what was he trying to drive home with the applause? I really liked the swing at 0:35, but he waits until 0:41 to clap.

If this girl is 13, it seems to me that she is hitting the ball very hard already. Watch out when she gets more efficient!!!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, what does the follow through have to do with getting to the point of contact?? :)

Some people believe you can come to contact and just drop the bat, does not matter once it hits the bat. ( sounds like your from that group)

Other people believe instead of cutting your swing short you drive through the ball. ( I'm from that group ):)

Straightleg

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Some people believe you can come to contact and just drop the bat, does not matter once it hits the bat. ( sounds like your from that group)

Other people believe instead of cutting your swing short you drive through the ball. ( I'm from that group ):)

Straightleg

I think that if you get to the ball well, you are practically holding onto the handle while the barrel is whipping to, then through contact. The through part is determined by the to part. You can only hit the ball once, so maybe I need to start my own group who is worried most about getting to contact as efficiently as possible. :) If you slow down before contact, you cut short, but I am not suggesting this.

Can you explain what driving through the ball means to you? I don't know the softball numbers, but the window of time the bat is on the ball in baseball is tiny. At 600 frames per second with my camera, it is 1 frame of contact. I can't imagine that bat speed, swing direction and the swing plane is more important anywhere else other than this one, single point of contact.

I've read that a 90 mph pitch (baseball) on a wood bat is 1/2000th of a second. Anybody have research on the softball side of this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan