12U - home open or closed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2012
Most of the tournaments we play in seem to have home closed. A couple home is open at 12U. All 14U is open. Just curious how it is around the country.
Thanks

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Are you saying you can't steal home? ( closed )

I haven't seen that since 8U rec. What sanctions are you playing? 12U pretty old for home closed.

Oct 19, 2009
This must be a rec question. In travel home has been open since 10u. In our local rec league (Licking County, Central Ohio), no stealing home or 2b (they allow stealing 3b) at 10u. No restrictions at 12u though.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Is it up to each tourney or something? I heard rumors of 10u "c" being closed, but have never seen it.

I don't think it's a bad idea though, make every run scored of a play that actually happens at older ages. We score but loads off wild pitches in rec, not so much in 12u "a" tb, but enough to account for several wins and loses every year. There are a lot of successful 12u teams that depend on base running that will never happen at 14u and older.

Mar 1, 2012
Our rec league is grade based so my rec team is B league 5th and 6th grade currently. Home is closed - no stealing. Can steal 2nd and 3rd though.

I ran the fall league last year and opened up home for 12U - very high scoring games.

Travel ball is 75% closed at 12U in our area. I am running a 12u/14u tournament and have home open for 12U. After all, these teams should be advanced is my thinking. Not many travel teams (or tournament teams as I call them) are associated with ASA, USSSA, etc. Most just play tournaments within a 50 mile radious. Typical tournaments are HS rules with modifications i.e. home closed. I also have a TB team.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
There are a lot of successful 12u teams that depend on base running

We trained heavily for home being open - offense and defense. We won the league and made a lot of plays at home. Catcher was always getting bragged up by other coaches. It was fun!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Travel ball is 75% closed at 12U in our area. I am running a 12u/14u tournament and have home open for 12U. After all, these teams should be advanced is my thinking.

I agree. Because you are really shooting yourself in the foot by not making the team better in the long run.

1. Develops the pitcher not to throw wild pitches
2. Develops the catcher not to give up pass balls
3. Develops the catcher to tag the runner at home and make the play ( important )

6th grade is MS ball around here, home is as open as Quincy's head. Just kidding. You/organization needs to be preparing them for higher levels as soon as you can. Other parts of the country are 2-4 years ahead in experience, that's hard to close the gap in a season or two if you start at 14U.

just my 2 cents

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It does add to tension. Our #3 pitch dad, usually nice guy said to dd (our catcher)last summer after a game "you can't be letting pitches get past you". She was, and still pissed. She said "the difference between a past ball and wild pitch is if the catcher has to give beyond normal effort to catch the ball. Jumping up 7 feet, and diving right and left over and over is not normal effort for a catcher.".
He said "I know, sorry I am just being a worked up parent."

It ads a ton of stress to a pitcher or catcher if a past ball/wild pitch cost the game. I am sure a pitcher is does not throw less wild pitches because home is open.

I don't know though (as I am going on about how it should be closed), I have never coached a closed game. Even our 10u rec is open. The typical 20-19 games with 4 hits.

Iacoach, bring your team to some central Ia tourneys. There are several every weekend mostly usssa, a few asa, non with a closed home.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie