12 YO DD (and Mom) thinking we may need to reevaluate.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A coach saw my DD playing rec ball and invited her to try out for a new TB team he was forming.....we had no idea it would lead us to where we are now! LOL

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD#1: When I was told she couldn't pitch anymore because she threw too hard.
DD#3: When the umpire stopped the game because DD#3 threw too hard.

(Seems to be a recurring theme, eh? They didn't have 10U TB in our area back then.)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
At 12 we looked at the local middle and high school teams and evaluated her goals and skill level, as well as future potential.. We realized if she wanted to play for those teams she needed to get better, and rec wasn't going to cut it. Joined travel ball and the rec players she used to play with are far behind her. I think many have the basic skill and foundation, but better competition and coaching elevated her level of play and drive.

May 21, 2012
Thank you for posting this. We had a game the other day in rec and a bunt ball ended up being a home run. My daughter nearly lost it. She's a pitcher and also plays for the town travel team as well. (Rule is you must play rec to play travel). After not speaking to her father or myself for several hours, she finally came downstairs and let it all out. She's done with rec and even thought about quiting immediately. The bunt that turned into a home run and a ground ball to the second baseman that also turned into a home run did it. We all agreed that quiting is not an option - EVER!!! Her team needs her and she must work on being the pitcher she wants to be... That means that if you have no defense - she must now dig deep and strike batters out (although hard when all they do is bunt because they can't get around on her). Challenge herself personally. Once August/September comes around, we are trying out for club. Please note that she just turned 12 and played up on the town travel last year - she also ended up being the only pitcher due to the other getting hurt. Our town travel does participate in several tournaments. She LOVES the tournaments. Besides all the cool things you can buy also because of the challenge of the other players is so much fun. And watching the tournaments is by far much more fun!!!

Apr 11, 2012
We knew it was time when DD wanted to practice hard, learn new stuff and improve and was frustrated because other girls wanted practice to be a social event. Also, DD had become top player in the league and no one was really challenging her. I think it is good for her to be on a team where other girls push her to be better. She can be the best but others should be trying to pass her. Right now, she's not the best so she is challenged to become better.

May 13, 2012
Why do you have to quit rec. If that is what she wants then sure you need to find a good TB fit and enjoy. A lot of the girls around here do both. When at rec they are heads above the other in skill but they keep it in perspective, it is rec. Play hard on your part help others and enjoy the activity. Weekends they go with the their TB team and play tourny's at different levels in other towns and enjoy that also.

Nov 3, 2012
This is our situation too. DD is very bonded with three girls on our rec team that have been together for four seasons. She doesn't want to leave them or our coach who they all enjoy. I know she's getting frustrated with the different commitment and skill levels the rest of the new team this spring has. (Maybe I'm more frustrated than she is...I have to admit it.) But, I"m not sure our family is ready for the amount of 'travel' travel ball in our area will demand. I wish there was a way to play more competitive softball locally.

For two years at 9 and 10 I asked her both springs if she wanted to look into tb. Both times her response was no, I just want to play with my friends.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd