11yo swing analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Good observations and suggestions! Thanks!

Worked with her a bit today trying to get her feel the rear hip loading. Not sure I have a good way to convey that but she's working on it:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRzy7gvqAig?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRzy7gvqAig?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

She's having a hard time controlling the barrel.

I wouldn't have her hold the barrel so vertically. Instead, lay it back more.

I would also try to get a lighter bat (at least until she gets some strength).

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Tom: Palms down. Follows the "thumb to thigh, knuckles to the sky" sequence.

I don't want to get to far off topic, so this will be my only comment on this subject. If she is getting palms down by internal rotation of the upper arm, then she is doing what Hodge teaches. Internal rotation of the rear upper arm is critical to prevent elbow and shoulder injuries, because it reduces slack in the tendons and muscles prior to the arm whipping forward. Arm injuries are often time caused when the arm is whipped foward with slack in the tendons and muscles. The slack gets taken up suddenly...all at once...as the arm reverses forward; which is bad.

As long as the rear arm remains relatively level to the ground when the upper arm internally rotates, your daughter should not have arm problems. The problems come in when baseball pitchers internally rotate their arm in such a way where the hands drop way below the elbows, forming and upside down "W". This upside down "W" has been proven to lead to serious arm injuries in pitchers. Keep the hand and elbow about at the same level your daughter should be fine.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Some good progress so far and balance is something to work on. She is still stacking the rear leg prior to lifting her lead foot for the stride. This makes it hard to provide any resistance from the backside.

When she picks up her lead foot to stride her weight should not go backwards. She should just pick up her front foot and go forward. To test this put your hand on her lead shoulder and have her pick up her lead foot. If her weight goes backwards her shoulder will move away from your hand. If she keeps her weight inside her rear foot, her weight will go forward and you will feel the resistance.

To the original poster, this is an advanced move that requires an in depth understanding of hip cock/hip coil and may not be appropriate for an eleven year old. Many hitters of all ages sway backwards when they pick up their front foot to stride. Here is a quote from Epstein:

"Understand that "loading-up" is a stylistic move and a common hitting cue. It is a fact that not everyone can harness the forward movement of this powerful approach. Most sway rearward in the load, putting most or all of their weight over the back leg."

I'm not saying this isn't a worthy goal. Just saying that there is a very specific trick or movement to coiling the hips that an 11 year old may not be able to grasp. The correct movement can be found in the overhand throw. When most guys throw overhand, they naturally coil around their rear hip as they stride forward. It works the same way in hitting. The challenge is that many girls don't coil when they throw overhand like boys do, so getting this part right may take some time.

May 13, 2008
To the original poster, this is an advanced move that requires an in depth understanding of hip cock/hip coil and may not be appropriate for an eleven year old.

I disagree. I had an entire group of 11 year old kids at a Bustos clinic in Cincinnati two weeks ago who picked up this concept very quickly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Please lose the snide remarks.

Telling her to stop swaying is very specific (and important).

CO … my post was to Amy, and it was sincere. There was no other intent.

If you feel that the implication is that you don’t measure up, then that is your assessment. You control the information, and manner, in which you chose to be helpful.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Wellphyt ... for what it's worth, I agree with Cshilt here (minus his upper body posture setting in the stance, as I believe the posture should be dynamically set and synchronized ... and perhaps we can discuss that concept in a different thread at some point) ... but his recommendation of widening the stance, and the goal of limiting rearward sway, has merit ... and I believe it is achievable by an 11yr old. If we can improve the coil now, without introducing significant sway, then that would be ideal. I do follow the notion that allowing some amount of sway for a girl this age may be acceptable so as to advance along with the remainder of the swing ... with the understanding that once through the cycle that we would return and tighten that up.

May 13, 2008
... for what it's worth, I agree with Cshilt here (minus his upper body posture setting in the stance, as I believe the posture should be dynamically set and synchronized ... and perhaps we can discuss that concept in a different thread at some point) ... but his recommendation of widening the stance, and the goal of limiting rearward sway, has merit ... and I believe it is achievable by an 11yr old.

Thanks. For the record, however, I have not mentioned the upper body. I provided a test for the dad and DD to use to feel the difference between the weight going back versus keeping the weight inside the back foot.

Oct 12, 2009
I don't want to get to far off topic, so this will be my only comment on this subject. If she is getting palms down by internal rotation of the upper arm, then she is doing what Hodge teaches. Internal rotation of the rear upper arm is critical to prevent elbow and shoulder injuries, because it reduces slack in the tendons and muscles prior to the arm whipping forward. Arm injuries are often time caused when the arm is whipped foward with slack in the tendons and muscles. The slack gets taken up suddenly...all at once...as the arm reverses forward; which is bad.

As long as the rear arm remains relatively level to the ground when the upper arm internally rotates, your daughter should not have arm problems. The problems come in when baseball pitchers internally rotate their arm in such a way where the hands drop way below the elbows, forming and upside down "W". This upside down "W" has been proven to lead to serious arm injuries in pitchers. Keep the hand and elbow about at the same level your daughter should be fine.

If you are focusing on internal rotation, then by definition you are focusing on an inverted arm action (which is dangerous).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207