11yo pitching form advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2013
My 11yoDD just started pitching a few months ago working with Bill Hillhouse's DVD and instructions. She is having trouble by having a lot of her pitches come inside to right handed batters. Can anyone experience review the two videos and see what needs correcting please....
[video=youtube_share;ap_MpjE2Qcc]http://youtu.be/ap_MpjE2Qcc[/video]

And from another view....

Bailey 11 pitching form - YouTube

Thank you in advance....

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I've got to love the dogs. And then, when ignored, they get right in the way - so that you have to deal with them.

Move her pitching rubber over to that line, in the concrete, so that she has a power line. She isn't getting to the open position.

I am surprised that she isn't pitching outside to the right handed batter.

If she isn't able to use a softball there, hand her a nerd or whiffle ball. Good luck.

May 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
My 11yoDD just started pitching a few months ago working with Bill Hillhouse's DVD and instructions. She is having trouble by having a lot of her pitches come inside to right handed batters. Can anyone experience review the two videos and see what needs correcting please....
[video=youtube_share;ap_MpjE2Qcc]http://youtu.be/ap_MpjE2Qcc[/video]

And from another view....

Bailey 11 pitching form - YouTube

Thank you in advance....

If you have seen Bill's clinics he said when a pitcher pitches inside it is almost always because her hips are coming through too early. Then hand needs to come through first then the hips follow. Same rule as hitting. You can see some of his clinics via youtube.

Sep 7, 2013
If you have seen Bill's clinics he said when a pitcher pitches inside it is almost always because her hips are coming through too early. Then hand needs to come through first then the hips follow. Same rule as hitting. You can see some of his clinics via youtube.

I've seen probably all of Bill's YouTube's and by looking at the first video it does not seen her hills are coming through early which s my initial thought. Her hills and lead leg come through after release point using coaches eye...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD has too much "hips" when she throws. Have her leave her right foot behind her left foot when she throws.

Attached is Amanda Scarborough pitching. Look carefully at the position of her right foot and left foot after she finishes the pitch. Note that the right foot is directly behind the left foot.

[video=youtube_share;avcEmdxuc30]http://youtu.be/avcEmdxuc30[/video]

Sep 7, 2013
Your DD has too much "hips" when she throws. Have her leave her right foot behind her left foot when she throws.

Attached is Amanda Scarborough pitching. Look carefully at the position of her right foot and left foot after she finishes the pitch. Note that the right foot is directly behind the left foot.

I understand what you are saying, however we have been taking Bill's approach of having the right foot come up to meet the left foot after the release to get in a better position for fielding.

Jan 18, 2011
I understand what you are saying, however we have been taking Bill's approach of having the right foot come up to meet the left foot after the release to get in a better position for fielding.

I understand what you are saying. I found when working with 10u that when you cue them like that, they end up squaring to fast to the catcher. Which is what seems to be happening here. What I've done was change the thought process from the feet to the knees. I tell them to bring the right knee up besides the left knee and don't worry about squaring off to the catcher. I believe Baordmember also wonders why so many square to the catcher after release.

I like what slugger said and shows with Amanda. If you notice her knees come together, not touching together but you get the point. She's still in a good position to field her position.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors