10YO DD finally starting to understand IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2013
My DD's understands what I/R is all about now, but she is having issues trusting it. When she doesn't have the ball in hand she whips pretty well. When she gets a ball in hand is where it breaks down. She has a tendency to turn the ball to first base, LHander, and she will hold the ball to long.

Doing the 9:00 drill. I have her watch the ball come down behind her and down and not worry where she throws it and it comes out pretty well and fast. When she looks at the wall it breaks down. I keep telling her we are working on the mechanics so her muscles learn where to move and she doesn't have to think about it. I think in time she will trust it.

On the "lock it in" drill how far should you be from the wall and how fast should she do it? I think she is frustrated not getting it to the wall or hitting the base.

All I can say is read, reread, and reread the sticky on IR in the classroom. If the pitcher has been taught HE it is a major adjustment to go from pushing the ball around the circle to pulling from under the ball.

The 1st thing they need to learn is that they MUST pull the ball. They cannot pull the ball if the hand is on top of the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Kealani-ready-to-let-it-rip.jpg QSDATHPFZBBKUAF.20130620083042.jpg ncaa_mowatt_195.jpg s090528_softballpg-horizontal.jpg
These photos are not fair to use in the context of proving that palm-down and whip can happen together. They could be throwing change ups, but would like to point out (while not optimal) that I think it is possible to whip with ER of the wrist/hand.

BTW, I'll glagly eat crow on on this (especially if it's bacon wrapped!)

Edit: I changed the above from "...possible to whip with ER of the lower arm." It is impossible for anything other than IR to occur from the elbow up.

Attachments

• PHP4DED53A0B45C1.jpg
    PHP4DED53A0B45C1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
View attachment 4560 View attachment 4561 View attachment 4562 View attachment 4563
These photos are not fair not use in the context of proving that palm-down and whip can happen together as they could be throwing change ups, but would like to point out (while not optimal) that I think it is possible to whip with ER of the lower arm.

It is absolutely possible....I see it all the time. I just think they top out at a lower speed than the I/R whippers. You can bend the elbow with the palm and ball facing second base on the downswing pretty easily and I think this is taught a lot because it is more accurate left to right than an I/R delivery.

Aug 20, 2013
Wow! Does it really make that big of a difference? I am so glad to see this now instead of a year from now. Thanks guys!

View attachment 4560 View attachment 4561 View attachment 4562 View attachment 4563
These photos are not fair not use in the context of proving that palm-down and whip can happen together as they could be throwing change ups, but would like to point out (while not optimal) that I think it is possible to whip with ER of the wrist/hand.

Edit: I changed the above from "...possible to whip with ER of the lower arm." It is impossible for anything other than IR to occur from the elbow up.

I am not really familiar with these pitchers mechanics, BUT I would guess that they all get the hand underneath the ball at some point later in the circle. Jennie Finch is the perfect example. If you look at her slo mo, she starts out with her hand on top, at the top of her circle and then gets under the ball somewhere around 3 o clock.

Is this what you mean by ER of the wrist hand?

Aug 20, 2013
Can't wait to start our lessons with IR this so I can know just a little about what I am talking.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
All of the shots I posted were pretty far up the circle and I can definitely see the hand turning more closer to release. I don't recall seeing anything of Finch with her hand on top--do you have link to that?

If you look at her slo mo, she starts out with her hand on top, at the top of her circle and then gets under the ball somewhere around 3 o clock.

Is this what you mean by ER of the wrist hand?

(Oops--didn't read what you said closely) No. As I recall, RLG teaches an ER motion with the hand: palm forward during the downswing into follow through.

ER: Hold your elbow against your side with the hand pointing to 2B and palm down. Slowly move the hand down and through to palm up when pointed to home. The hand ER's as the upper arm IR's.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2011
These photos are not fair not use in the context of proving that palm-down and whip can happen together as they could be throwing change ups, but would like to point out (while not optimal) that I think it is possible to whip with ER of the wrist/hand.

Ken, nothing at all from preventing them from getting their palm up at 9 o'clock (which would be at about the apex of external rotation). Mowatt appears to always be palm away at the top. She then quickly turns her palm and pulls from there. I'm not sure I'd want to test my shoulder throwing that way, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207