10U Strategy question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
You coach a 10U team, first year but a talented group. You're playing in a tournament that's lower level teams and you've got a pretty good shot at the championship. You decide for this tournament to play 9, sit 3 each game (usually you play 11, and rotate girls throughout innings). There are 11 girls on the team plus one pick up you're hoping to woo onto your team. What is the reasoning of having girls sit entire games?

Does it influence your opinion of this scenario at all if the pick up girl gets to play every game, while several of the girls who are actually on the team will sit 2-3 entire games?

If you were a parent on this team, what would you think about this scenario? I'm not a coach and often the strategy stuff goes over my head. But to me, this feels like, "I want to win, more than I want to develop this team of talented 9 year olds. I care more about acquiring talent than developing talent I already have." What am I missing? Give me something here. :confused:

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I got nothing.

The quest player probably will not see the bench, so be it. I have yet to see a not so good quest player.

DD, and as a parent, just wants to know what is going on. Let us know before the Tourney what is happening. DD will still be in the dugout with the Team cheering with us in the stands doing the same for that weekend. Not sure about the next with her new Team.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
What if the assistant coach tells the head coach, hey, you ought to sit the pick up a game because the parents of kids actually on the team aren't going to be happy about that, and the coach says he doesn't care.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds right.

I can argue both ways for a quest player, DD has been on both sides of it.

IDK, it is just one of the factors if you want to play for that specific Team.

Jun 12, 2015
I think we may have different philosophies. I don't care about trophies so much, I care about young kids learning the game. Hard to learn from the bench.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is the guest player trying out for the team? Tournament situations are a great way to see how a player fits athletically and socially. It is also a good time to find out if a player has psycho softball parents. That said, the coach should find a way to work players into the games so no player has to sit an entire game, especially at 10U. Too many coaches put winning above player development at the young age groups.

Jul 23, 2014
I don't think any kid should sit the whole game. However I am a firm believer in making players earn things. Guest players should expect to play so I have no issue there. I do question bringing in a guest player with a roster that big already.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We do not, all I am saying is sometimes you need to switch Team because the HC does not share the same opinion about the games.

Aug 26, 2015
What if the assistant coach tells the head coach, hey, you ought to sit the pick up a game because the parents of kids actually on the team aren't going to be happy about that, and the coach says he doesn't care.

Doesn't sound like a right or wrong "position" here. It honestly just sounds like something the AC cares about (and you as well)......the HC doesn't care about. Only question is....is this a significant enough philosophical difference to be a deal breaker for you. If it is, then it is and you can just find a home that more aligns with the things that are significant to you. If not, then realize that's the HC's position and he/she won't likely change it. It'd be a different story if the AC mentioned it to the HC and he/she turned hypocritical "in the heat of battle". It doesn't sound like an extreme weird "position" either way imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi