10 yo Tip & Rip - Thoughts ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
I have my DD now tipping & ripping to prevent flattening out to early behind her.

Jayla Brooks - YouTube

I have her not really focusing on tipping the barrel but really just raising the back elbow going up as she strides.

She seems to like it. Swing looks quicker and more powerful. She told me "it feels cleaner & quicker".

Now we just need to figure out the timing.

Thoughts ?

Thx,
BatDragon

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well there you go.

Almost as if she's "showing the catcher the triangle" and "turning the triangle".

The 'tip' can enhance one's coil ... but really, even pumping the barrel more vertical can enhance one's coil.

Any head-on soft-toss to show us?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Nice. Not to tell you what to do, but now my next step would be some swings with feet at 45 degrees and noontime drill, to get the feel of the coil and of the swinging behind the pull of the rear leg/hip.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Something to look at when the girls get that real high back elbow. Watch how far the back elbow slots and travels in relationship to the front elbow.

You loose connection on the upper half.

SL

Jul 20, 2010
I wouldn't fiddle too much with this swing.

Does it translate to front toss / live arm / games,,,or have you had the chance to see it there yet?

Aug 28, 2012
Nice. Not to tell you what to do, but now my next step would be some swings with feet at 45 degrees and noontime drill, to get the feel of the coil and of the swinging behind the pull of the rear leg/hip.

Regular Speed:
JB_swingaway.gif

Not much time but see if this helps..

JB_swingaway_pause.gif

For the sake of a "noontime drill" try...Get to where her upper is at the first pause and hold that position (keep the elbow up and resistance pulling back). Activate the lower (specifically the rear leg) such that it is working inward like at the second pause. Note that what is thought of as the hip bone is part of the upper and should still be resisting back with the rest of the upper while the leg (upper thigh) applies inward pressure (call it adduction, call it IR, call it pocket to junk, call it pinch, whatever).

Being in that stalemate position of the rear leg driving inward "under the hip socket" and the upper pulling back / resisting "above the hip socket", should create the "battle in the rear hip socket".

Launch from there without giving up the drive of the rear leg or the pullback / resistance of the upper. How that stalemate gets broken in order to launch is a bit difficult to describe and there are probably multiple ways. It's not so much a lessening of the resistance up top that allows the lower rear leg drive to win, but it's more of a redirection of the upper resistance from "up and back" to "down and back".

Good Luck!
--NoonTime

Feb 14, 2010
I'm on the completely opposite end of the spectrum with SL on the back elbow. IMO it's a much stronger and quick position when it's shoulder height versus being below. To each his own

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I'm on the completely opposite end of the spectrum with SL on the back elbow. IMO it's a much stronger and quick position when it's shoulder height versus being below. To each his own

The trick is staying connected. Men yes, girls a bunch dont. But like you say to each his own

SL

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Pre-Trip.... Tip & Rip ????

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/soqUDjc-cYo?color2=FBE9EC&rel=0&loop=1&hd=1&autoplay=1&showsearch=0&version=3&modestbranding=1">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/soqUDjc-cYo?color2=FBE9EC&rel=0&loop=1&hd=1&autoplay=1&showsearch=0&version=3&modestbranding=1" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
</object><div style="font-size: 0.8em"><a href="http://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/youtube_xhtml/"></a></div>

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Bonds did that tip too. IMO they are getting the feeling of initiating the swing with their forearms and hands at go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207