10 yo - I think she has figured it out !!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
I think my 10 yo DD has figured it out. To me her swing looks pretty good. Please let me know what you think. She has been working on it for a bit. We are looking to generate as much power as possible.

GIF:
Jayla7-27BP_zpsc64389cd.gif

Slow motion:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6mnkFTTXQNk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any comments or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
BatDragon

May 16, 2010
I think my 10 yo DD has figured it out. To me her swing looks pretty good. Please let me know what you think. She has been working on it for a bit. We are looking to generate as much power as possible.

GIF:

Slow motion:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6mnkFTTXQNk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thx,
BatDragon

Looks very good to me. Especially for a 10 yo.

The only minor nit-picky things I might add are;

Turn the front hip toward the plate a little bit as she starts to push forward.

Try to get a little more throw of the barrel, by getting the top hand through. She is getting it through, but it could be even better.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
aaron-hill.jpgCasey verses Reading this one went over the fence.jpgbonds_inside.jpg

Looks good.
My only nit pic would be to try and hit the ball around the front foot/heel.
The front arm and bat lining up almost straight at impact.
Pictures above is what I am talking about. One of my daughter is abit past that point, ball has already left
But see how my daughters front arm and bat are almost straight in a line at impact, and front arm closer to the chest at impact

When your lead arm is closer to your chest of rotation, that is a better rotated connection with your core, and more power at impact....

Maybe someone can post a still of her at impact

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

GIF:

Slow motion:

Thx,
BatDragon

What do I think?

I think your daughter has come a long way since her bag draggy days.

That said, this is not the ideal swing. This has more of what you get when you attempt to maximize the first 'push' in a Push-Block-Push model.

Your objective ... "We are looking to generate as much power as possible." ... is questionable IMO. This momentum-based, out-front, type swing will have her struggling as she scales upwards to seeing better pitching. The objective should not be about "power" in isolation of "control" & "timing". It is more about Power with Control. See post ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/15480-jb-wb-thread-rear-one-legged-9.html#post183530.

Jan 24, 2011
What do I think?

I think your daughter has come a long way since her bag draggy days.

That said, this is not the ideal swing. This has more of what you get when you attempt to maximize the first 'push' in a Push-Block-Push model.

Your objective ... "We are looking to generate as much power as possible." ... is questionable IMO. This momentum-based, out-front, type swing will have her struggling as she scales upwards to seeing better pitching. The objective should not be about "power" in isolation of "control" & "timing". See post ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/15480-jb-wb-thread-rear-one-legged-9.html#post183530.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts. What the heck is an ideal swing for a 10 year old , 14? 16? , etc. Will someone please post a video of one of their students or DD in which they believe that have -or at least close to an ideal swing (not Pujols , Bonds , Posey , etc)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is one of the things that drives me nuts. What the heck is an ideal swing for a 10 year old , 14? 16? , etc. Will someone please post a video of one of their students or DD in which they believe that have -or at least close to an ideal swing (not Pujols , Bonds , Posey , etc)

The comment was "this is not the ideal swing". There was no reference made to 'age'.

This swing here will not scale well. The effort of what to maximize was distorted, and it will cost her in terms of accuracy (in terms of well squared balls). As she faces better and better pitching it will become more obvious ... which is what is meant when someone says the swing, as it stands here, will not scale well.

Jan 24, 2011
The comment was "this is not the ideal swing". There was no reference made to 'age'.

This swing here will not scale well. The effort of what to maximize was distorted, and it will cost her in terms of accuracy (in terms of well squared balls). As she faces better and better pitching it will become more obvious ... which is what is meant when someone says the swing, as it stands here, will not scale well.

I understand. I am just wondering if anyone has a 10 year old student or DD that has an "ideal swing". I would just like to view it. There seem to be a million different opinions as to what that swing looks like

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I understand. I am just wondering if anyone has a 10 year old student or DD that has an "ideal swing". I would just like to view it. There seem to be a million different opinions as to what that swing looks like

Swing development is a "process". For many the blue-print for that process is the HLBB-swing. You'll find many pros continuing to work on the process up to the day they retire from the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog